But how to do it? Attempts to repeal the law in the current Congress have fallen short. Flush with gains from the 2010 election that gave Republicans control of the House, the lower chamber made ObamaCare repeal Job #2. On January 19, 2011, H.R. 2, the “Repealing the Job-Killing Health Care Law Act,” passed the House on a 245-189 vote. In never...
If the GOP introduces a repeal of Obamacare that isn't coupled with something to replace it, it won't get through the Senate. But if there is something that the less extreme Democrats can accept, they can probably break a filibuster. Basically, if the GOP has 51 Senators after the election, then the support of 9 Democrats would be needed. Start with independent-leaning-Democrat Angus King of Maine. Then Manchin of West Virginia, Landrieu of Louisiana, Pryor of Arkansas, Nelson of Florida, Wyden of Oregon, McCaskill of Missouri and Carper of Delaware. All are either people who have shown an ability to see reason or represent states where Obamacare is unpopular. Then you need one; do what it takes.
Anticipating victory in November’s elections, both parties are working up their legislative plans for 2013. Republicans, looking forward to regaining a Senate majority along with the White House, will have repeal of ObamaCare high on their list.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Video: How does the president’s tone help solve the problem? Mary Katharine Ham 4 hours ago
- Obama’s law professor: There’s a “very high risk” that a federal court is going to gut ObamaCare Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- This is CNN: White gay man and black woman argue over who is ‘stealing’ the other’s culture Noah Rothman 5 hours ago
- Palin makes the case for impeaching Obama Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- Video: Megyn Kelly vs. Nancy Pelosi on the Hobby Lobby ruling Allahpundit 7 hours ago