Many of the groups pushing this view have also been in the forefront of the anti-immigration movement -- NumbersUSA, Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR) and Negative Population Growth (NPG). They don't like immigrants -- even legal ones -- because immigrants, especially Hispanic immigrants,...
Some valid points there, but they don't refute Ms. Chavez's point that there is a declining birth rate in the US. The population increase in the US would be significantly less were it not for the large numbers of immigrants. She didn't call for us to increase the birth rate, but to maintain immigration as it is and even expand it on a legal basis. In the meantime, there is a problem, and just because it hasn't struck home here yet doesn't mean it won't. Every year, over a million American babies are aborted. Increasingly, Americans, following the lead of western Europe, are turning to homosexuality, which produces no children. The lack of a good future is not demographic, but economic, and it can be corrected.
The old adage "be careful what you wish for" is an apt reminder in light of this week's news that the U.S. birthrate has dropped to its lowest level on record. For years, population hysterics have tried to convince Americans to aim not just for zero population growth in the U.S. but its complete reversal.
- Video: Megyn Kelly vs. Nancy Pelosi on the Hobby Lobby ruling Allahpundit 22 minutes ago
- Poll: Republican voters back immigration reform? Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- LeBron James becomes first person ever to leave Miami for Cleveland voluntarily Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Contemptible corporate cowardice Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Gallup’s clickbait: Obama’s still pretty popular among … Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Why aren’t Boehner and the House suing Obama over immigration? Allahpundit 3 hours ago