Dr. John Lott, author of "More Guns, Less Crime," reports that until the 1960s, some New York City public high schools had shooting clubs where students competed in citywide shooting contests for university scholarships. They carried their rifles to school on...
Actually, that episode was on "The Andy Griffith Show", and the "deadly weapon" was a slingshot, not a BB gun. Dr. Williams' point still stands: guns are not the problem.
When I attended primary and secondary school -- during the 1940s and '50s -- one didn't hear of the kind of shooting mayhem that's become routine today. Why? It surely wasn't because of strict firearm laws. My replica of the 1902 Sears mail-order catalog shows 35 pages of firearm advertisements. People just sent in their money, and a firearm was shipped.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- Sally Kohn: How can Israel supporters argue the IDF’s violence is justified, but Hamas’ isn’t? Guy Benson 7 hours ago
- Most transparent administration ever closes Apollo 11 anniversary event to press Mary Katharine Ham 8 hours ago
- Chuck Schumer: What say we have fully open primaries from now on? Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- Univision anchor: No government should be in the business of deporting children Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- Florida dad who beat son’s alleged molester to a pulp: I went to get a butcher knife to finish him off Allahpundit 10 hours ago