When 1950s comedian Lenny Bruce titillated his audiences with the F-word and crude sex talk, liberals came to his defense. They reminded us that vulgar speech is not a crime: The First Amendment was not just designed to protect uplifting expression, but also rarer blasphemous and indecent...
Because it is an abuse of power and platform to promote anything but God if you are getting a tax break for operating a "House of God." However, the integrity of the church pulpit is gone like most of our cherished institutions. Black preachers, since the time of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. has begun to use the pulpit to curse America, and spread racial poison and they are not called out. Jeremiah Wright's tax break should be revoked. Preachers in America should begin a grassroots movement to hold other preachers accountable, but nobody cares enough therefore we have lost the integrity of the pulpit. We will lose more, people. We will lose more if we don't speak up.
The American Left used to champion free expression. We were lectured -- correctly -- that the price of being repulsed by occasional crude talk and art was worth paying. Only that way could Americans ensure our daily right to criticize those with greater power and influence whom we found wrong and objectionable.
- Kerry retreats on recognition of Israel as a Jewish state Ed Morrissey 39 minutes ago
- Brown ramping up Senate run in New Hampshire: AP Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Reuters: Radar data suggests that the missing Malaysian jet was flown far off course deliberately Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Obama: Yeah, a lot of you won’t be able to keep your doctor after all Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- WaPo: Four Pinocchios for Dems’ Koch habit Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Russia: We may move into eastern Ukraine to protect ethnic Russians there too Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago