Yet, as a percentage of the party, more Republicans voted for the passage of...
In response to:
You will never convince the large majority of American Blacks that it is the Democrats that are suppressing them. Sure, the Dems "give"them free stuff, but it s that free stuff that imprisons them. Just as the Howard Universitybstudent said, he wants the government to do things for him. He never learned tat when the government gives you free stuff, it makes you more and more their chattel. The old Democrat Plantation, it is independence and freedom that matters, not free stuff.
As recently as 1956, nearly 39 percent of blacks voted Republican in that year's presidential election. After the Civil War, Abe Lincoln's Republican Party easily carried the black vote -- where blacks were allowed to vote. Unwelcome in the Democratic Party, most blacks voted Republican and continued to do so through the early part of the 20th century. It wasn't until 1948, when 77 percent of the black vote went to Harry Truman, who had desegregated the military, that a majority of blacks identified themselves as Democrats.
- Afghan interpreters who aided US in danger of being left behind Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- Sunday reflection: Matthew 13:1–23 Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- ICE has the chance to catch Jose Antonio Vargas RIGHT NOW Jazz Shaw 2 hours ago
- Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 15 hours ago
- WMD in Iraq a rather nuanced issue Ed Morrissey 17 hours ago