Yet, as a percentage of the party, more Republicans voted for the passage of...
In response to:
You will never convince the large majority of American Blacks that it is the Democrats that are suppressing them. Sure, the Dems "give"them free stuff, but it s that free stuff that imprisons them. Just as the Howard Universitybstudent said, he wants the government to do things for him. He never learned tat when the government gives you free stuff, it makes you more and more their chattel. The old Democrat Plantation, it is independence and freedom that matters, not free stuff.
As recently as 1956, nearly 39 percent of blacks voted Republican in that year's presidential election. After the Civil War, Abe Lincoln's Republican Party easily carried the black vote -- where blacks were allowed to vote. Unwelcome in the Democratic Party, most blacks voted Republican and continued to do so through the early part of the 20th century. It wasn't until 1948, when 77 percent of the black vote went to Harry Truman, who had desegregated the military, that a majority of blacks identified themselves as Democrats.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- Again: Exactly which elite, liberal institution does have to live up to the Left’s values? Mary Katharine Ham 8 hours ago
- Detroit suspends water shut-offs for 15 days Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- Through the looking glass: White House that loves using anonymous sources upset at being attacked by anonymous sources Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- Video: The angriest atheist Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- Police protect Jewish students from Pro-Palestinian mob…in Boston Guy Benson 11 hours ago