Huge pensions for retired government workers can be found from small municipalities to national governments on both sides of the Atlantic. There is a reason. For elected officials, pensions are virtually the ideal thing to spend money on, politically speaking. Many kinds of spending of the taxpayers' money win votes from the recipients. But...
I don't think that's lost on him. The question wasn't WHEN we got into the Phillipines, but WHY. War spoils. The Phillipines were under the jackboot of the Spanish. Then they were under the jackboot of Pershing. It's a VERY ugly piece of US History. Anyone who thinks we were liberators or something has no idea what took place. The US government raped the Phillipines. Not surprising the govt's public schools don't talk about this.
A nation's choice between spending on military defense and spending on civilian goods has often been posed as "guns versus butter." But understanding the choices of many nations' political leaders might be helped by examining the contrast between their runaway spending on pensions while skimping on military defense.
- Perry: Rand Paul’s position on Iraq is “disheartening … curiously blind” Ed Morrissey 52 minutes ago
- Joni Ernst will miss two weeks on the campaign trail… to serve in uniform Jazz Shaw 2 hours ago
- UN Security Council issues non-binding call for cease fire in Gaza Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- UAW decides to skip election and form union at VW anyway Jazz Shaw 5 hours ago
- Pelosi’s office retreats on Hobby Lobby “ban” claim Ed Morrissey 6 hours ago
- Solar panel company pocketing govt subsidy cash intended for homeowners Jazz Shaw 8 hours ago