1 - 8

Race-Hustling Results: Part III

Justin265 Wrote: Oct 24, 2013 2:39 PM
Very good. I noticed that, too. Has to be a nom de plume.

America Nears El Tipping Pointo

Justin265 Wrote: Dec 06, 2012 2:34 PM
One may question the wisdom of what we did in Afghanistan. However, your post implies that it's the top 2% that should "start" paying for it. What we did in Afghanistan was done by the US government that represents the entire country. Why do you feel that the burden for starting to pay for it should fall on the top 2%?

America Nears El Tipping Pointo

Justin265 Wrote: Dec 06, 2012 9:50 AM
IF we assume that the premise of this essay is correct, the question I have is WHY are so many people content to live the life and lifestyle associted with living off the public dole? The obvious answer, I guess, is laziness...because it's easier than getting up and working hard every day? I don't think you could give me enough public "assistance" to live that lifestyle. It's so much better to work hard and make your own way if you can earn a sufficient enough income.

Maybe Minorities' Values Need Changing

Justin265 Wrote: Nov 13, 2012 3:18 PM
Pastorial, I would say that we do believe in those things. With respect to equality, we believe in equality of opportunity and equality under the law, for example. But we don't believe the federal government should play as great a role as it does now in terms of equalizing outcomes. With respect to fairness, we absolutely do beleive in it, but people have very different views of what "fair" means. If one thinks that unequal outcomes are by definition unfair, then we won't agree. But if one thinks that unequal opportunities or inequality under the law is unfair, then we agree. An example of something we'd like to do to address something we think is unfair is school choice (vouchers).

Is the GOP Headed for the Boneyard?

Justin265 Wrote: Nov 09, 2012 1:06 PM
I agree that it was a sad day and I was down for a few days. But, I'm now hanging my optimism on the hope that the problem is not our principles but rather our tactics. So Buchanan cites two problems: free trade and immigration. The fact is that where we are is where we are. I think doing away with free trade and deporting those here against our laws are both unrealistic (and I wouldn't do away with free trade even if I could). I think we have to offer a path to citizenship (call it amnesty if you want) and fix the immigration system...try to make it a bargain...naturalize all those here illegally now in exchange for changing both legal and illegal immigration going forward. And, we have to change our rhetoric.

The Initial Aftershocks

Justin265 Wrote: Nov 08, 2012 10:38 AM
Norm...I hear you, but I think that maybe we have to distinguish between "reaching out to" and "agreeing with". I would like to think / hope that the three main blocs that we failed with -- blacks, latinos and single women -- can make the same distinction and know that we care about them as people even if our policies are at first anathema to them. My first instinct is, like yours, to despise this notion of "caring" over facts and reason, but I'm starting to think that that is the reality in which we live.
I think Prager does a good job of framing the issue, but then I find his ultimate point unsatisfying. So the main problem he has with same-sex marriage is that it will lead to gender confusion and the loss of motherhood and fatherhood as values. Fine, but he doesn't go on to explain WHY gender confusion and the loss of motherhood and fatherhood as values is bad. Why would it be bad for people to self-identify as a "person" instead of a "man" or a "woman" and why would it be bad for parents to self-identify as a "parent" instead of a "father" or a "mother"?

Is It Time to Come Home?

Justin265 Wrote: Sep 14, 2012 10:08 AM
Paulus, I generally like Buchanan and think he's smart. I don't always agree with him, but I always enjoy reading him because he's an idea guy, not just a "yeller". Your challenge piqued my interest. I can't say that I've read everything he's ever written, however, even I, who, as I said, generally like him, find a thread of certainly anti-Israel thought in his writing (at least he's virtually NEVER positive on Israel), and a hint of anti-Jewish thought as well. My gut tells me he doesn't like Jews, but of course I can't prove that. I'm attaching a link to an article that seems to be researched pretty well. Wonder what you think of it? http://frontpagemag.com/2012/ben-shapiro/pat-buchanan-anti-semite/
1 - 8