Provo's generosity is typical for its region. Of...
Did you know that Mormons also give "fast offerings" monthly? The fast for two meals and give the money that they would have spent on the food to the church that they attend to distribute to the needy. Did you know that Mormons also contribute vast amounts of their time to volunteer activities? If their time was valued monetarily then the charity numbers would skyrocket.
There are 366 major metropolitan areas in the United States, and a comprehensive new study by the Chronicle of Philanthropy ranks them on the basis of generosity -- the percentage of income the median household in each city gives to charity. According to the Chronicle, the most generous city in America is Provo, Utah, where residents typically give away 13.9 percent of their discretionary income. Boston, by contrast, ranks No. 358: In New England's leading city, the median household donates just 2.9 percent of its income to charity.
- Detroit cuts deal with retired first responders on pensions Ed Morrissey 28 minutes ago
- Video: Did we miss the al-Qaeda convention? Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Bloomberg to spend $50 million to “outmuscle” the NRA Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Video: Happy (The Remy Tax Day Edition) Mary Katharine Ham 11 hours ago
- Should Mike Anderson III go free? Mary Katharine Ham 12 hours ago