Katie - You are correct. Emily won the argument hands down. Of course, she had a large advantage in that the facts support her position. One should not disparage the intelligence or debate-skill of liberals who have no option but to argue without any factual support for their position.

A Generation of Sociopaths

JScottKemp Wrote: Sep 19, 2013 10:11 AM
Dr. Adams - As usual, you are right on. What is unusual for you is the dearth of sarcasm. What fun is that? But then, the topic really is not very funny. The solution (IMHO) is to pray for revival.

Crazier Than Liberals

JScottKemp Wrote: Sep 19, 2013 9:59 AM
It is not only the liberals that believe the power to send people who have committed no crime to a place where they are locked in and treated against their will is a power that must be balanced somehow. I don't feel sanguine about giving that authority to a bunch of federal bureaucrats. I consider myself a libertarian - the most conservative of the tea party conservatives. So, while I agree with Ann's assessment of the problem. I think that her solution may be a little to simplistic...a little too easy. This is not an easy problem.

The Hill of Hypocrisy

JScottKemp Wrote: Sep 10, 2013 12:08 PM
Well written, Dr. Adams

The True Martin Luther King, Jr.

JScottKemp Wrote: Aug 30, 2013 3:46 PM
I was a young man (pre-teen) when Dr. King was leading the charge for civil rights for black Americans. But I was aware enough to notice a pattern. Dr. King would come to a town and hold rallies, make speeches, preach in a local church on Sunday, ... . He consistently espoused non-violent change. And then he would leave. Then a few days or a couple of weeks later there would be race riots in that town. The local police would arrest a few "outside agitators" that were charged with inciting the riot. I never believed that Dr. King was completely unable to influence the more militant members of his movement. What I am saying is that things are never as simple as they seem. Martin Luther King is today an icon of liberalism. He is remembered for the legend that grew up after his assassination. The historic man is long forgotten.
I distinctly remember sitting in front of my TV (? 10 ? years ago) and seeing embedded US newsmen show video of a village in Iraq where - according to the newsman - every man, woman, boy, girl, donkey, goat, dog, cat, and cockroach had been killed by a chemical weapons attack some days previous. The attack was credited to one of Saddam Hussein's generals who was known by the nickname "Chemical Ali". But "there were no WMDs in Iraq". One of my liberal friends told me that chemical weapons did not count as WMDs. But the common definition of WMD at the time was - chemical, biological, or nuclear weapon. And (apparently) the current administration considers chemical weapons to be WMDs. Who am I to believe? (I think the answer is: No One.)

"It's a Sin, but I'm not Against It"

JScottKemp Wrote: Aug 27, 2013 9:26 AM
The question of how the church can/should address the sin (of sex outside of marriage - which in my understanding would include all homosexual sex) without alienating the sinner must be addressed. And frankly, I cannot think of a way to begin. I would like a free & open discussion.

My Marxist Retirement Plan

JScottKemp Wrote: Aug 08, 2013 10:12 AM
My understanding is that Dr. Adams does what universities (should) expect their tenured professors to do: teach. And by all accounts he does it pretty well.

My Marxist Retirement Plan

JScottKemp Wrote: Aug 08, 2013 10:05 AM
Ad hominem attacks on the author are not a good way to refute what he says. They tend to cause thinking people to discount what you say. Perhaps your position would be better served discussing the issues of Socialism v. Christianity? Or perhaps not.

My Marxist Retirement Plan

JScottKemp Wrote: Aug 08, 2013 10:01 AM
I think that Faulkner defines a Christian nation differently than I would. He is looking at public policy that is promulgated by the government. I would look at the per centage of citizens who follow (act like) Christ.

My Phone Call To Jason Collins