Conservatives' Culture Bubble

jparker Wrote: Aug 18, 2014 2:56 PM
I don't think you understood what I was trying to say. I have re-read the comment and I remember it now. I wasn't trying to say that we should never tell each other when we're absolutely wrong, and hurting our own cause, which people like wmou, Mark_H and Troglodyte (great name, and very applicable) are definitely doing. In fact, many of the responders on this board just make liberals appear to be right when they describe us this way.

Conservatives' Culture Bubble

jparker Wrote: Aug 18, 2014 2:53 PM
In what way?

Conservatives' Culture Bubble

jparker Wrote: Aug 18, 2014 2:19 PM
Okay, sorry. I found them. It was several months ago, not just yesterday, but again, I fail to see how I'm not living up to that. The people I'm replying to are coming off as uninformed, ignorant and sexually repressed.

Conservatives' Culture Bubble

jparker Wrote: Aug 18, 2014 2:17 PM
As I say above, I don't remember writing that. I haven't commented on a TH post in several weeks. I'm going back through my comments and can't find these words.

Conservatives' Culture Bubble

jparker Wrote: Aug 18, 2014 2:15 PM
I haven't read him because westerns don't interest me.

Conservatives' Culture Bubble

jparker Wrote: Aug 18, 2014 2:15 PM
I don't recall writing that. But it's true. And I don't see how I've gone against that.

Conservatives' Culture Bubble

jparker Wrote: Aug 18, 2014 1:33 PM
Another thing; if you start declaring something evil, and make claims about what's in it, you look like an idiot. More than one person has proceeded to tell me that the Harry Potter books featured real Wiccan spells and all kinds of other claims that were completely bogus. I don't mean that they picked up on subtext that could be argued wasn't there; they literally claimed that there were scenes, characters and actions present in the books that were not. When asked where they read that, unfailingly they will have been told this by someone else who didn't read the books any more than they did. And don't start telling me that it's because I got corrupted by reading the books. I also read Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy, and found that every word spoken about its corrupting, anti-God nature is 100% true.

Conservatives' Culture Bubble

jparker Wrote: Aug 18, 2014 1:15 PM
Which of us are you talking to?

Conservatives' Culture Bubble

jparker Wrote: Aug 18, 2014 1:11 PM
Let me elaborate. Art should reflect reality. Bad art creates a version of reality that doesn't exist and tries to claim that's what reality is. Good art can use allegory while making it clear that's what it is. A well-written screenplay can show us a flawed hero who is still able to rise above their flaws and be a good person, as well as charismatic, intelligent villains who could conceivably win people to their side, and still communicate which one we should root for. You seem to prefer that movies lie to you and always act as if the hero is above reproach while the villain is openly slimy and evil. It doesn't work that way in real life, so why would you want movies to lie to you? Portraying reality as something it never has been and never will be is NOT a conservative message.

Conservatives' Culture Bubble

jparker Wrote: Aug 18, 2014 1:05 PM
Right, because you sooooo strike me as a person who is happy and kind and wise and decent... Actually you strike me as the kind of person who brings down any room they are in. Including worship services.