What President Obama has been pushing for, and moving toward, is more insidious: government control of the economy, while leaving ownership in private hands. That way, politicians get to call the shots but, when their bright ideas lead to disaster, they...
Don't make the mistake thinking Obama wants our economy to grow. He can't make his "fundamental transformation" to a Socialist/Communist system if our businesses grow, because they would have their own money to pay us workers. They must fail in order for the state to step in with bail out money. The giving and withholding of bailout money to both businesses and individuals is, in effect, controlling our freedoms. For example, we are free to eat, if the state has given us enough money to buy food. While this isn't the state actually owning "the means of production" and "private property" (the two hallmarks of Socialism and Communism) it is the state controlling the means of production and private property, thus controlling our freedoms.
It bothers me a little when conservatives call Barack Obama a "socialist." He certainly is an enemy of the free market, and wants politicians and bureaucrats to make the fundamental decisions about the economy. But that does not mean that he wants government ownership of the means of production, which has long been a standard definition of socialism.
- Quotes of the Day Jazz Shaw 40 minutes ago
- Would-be victim delivering pizza thwarts would-be robbery with her concealed weapon Erika Johnsen 2 hours ago
- The EPA is charging $75,000/day over a private citizen’s pond, but don’t you worry about their revisions to the Clean Water Act Erika Johnsen 3 hours ago
- Christie jacking up tax on e-cigarettes Jazz Shaw 5 hours ago
- Interview with Al Baldasaro Jazz Shaw 6 hours ago
- How many people have died from GM ignition-switch defect? Ed Morrissey 8 hours ago