Some economists and legal scholars have suggested that the “platinum coin option” is one way to defuse a crisis if Congress can’t or won’t lift the debt ceiling soon. At least in theory. The U.S. government is, after all, facing a real problem. The Treasury Department will hit its $16.4 trillion borrowing limit by next February at the latest. Unless Congress reaches an agreement to raise that borrowing limit, the government will no longer be able...
In response to:
Wouldn't create any extra inflation? Is this guy kidding? That would be another $2 trillion spent into the economy as surely as if they printed paper dollars. You bet your life it would be inflationary.
- Thursday TEMS: Duane Patterson, Sen. Rob Portman, Michael Caspino Ed Morrissey 14 mins ago
- That ISIS guy who promised to raise Islamic flag over the White House? He’s dead Noah Rothman 32 mins ago
- Remembering James Foley and his work Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- NY Daily News cover blasts Obama for vacation return after Foley murder Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Dems fret that ISIS will force America to return to Iraq Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Video: Don Lemon claims “most people” can buy automatic weapons in America Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago