Today, we're taking a preliminary look at just who owns all the debt issued by the U.S. federal government through 30 September 2012 - the end of the U.S. government's fiscal year. Our chart below visualizes what we found.
The information presented in our chart above is preliminary, as the U.S. Treasury typically revises its foreign entity debt ownership data in March of each year.
Overall, U.S. entities own just 65.8% of all debt issued by the U.S. federal government. Ranking the major U.S. entities from low to high, we find that:
- Exit polls show Crimea annexation wins 93% of vote while under Russian occupation Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- NRLC Interview – Joe Scarborough Jazz Shaw 3 hours ago
- And your latest straw poll winner is… Jazz Shaw 4 hours ago
- NRLC Interview: NH Senate candidate Karen Testerman Jazz Shaw 6 hours ago
- Sunday reflection: Matthew 17:1-9 Ed Morrissey 7 hours ago
- Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads Ed Morrissey 9 hours ago