The problem is with the failure of the culture to take marriage itself with the seriousness it used to receive. Connected more with pleasure than with responsibility, marriage functions more and more as just as a set of personal preferences. If it feels good, tastes good, looks good, etc., -- hey, why not? If none of the above, never mind....
The gay marriage issue merely demonstrates the power of gays and radical progressives in the media and schools. It doesn't change anything, certainly not the meaning of marriage. If the issue is so popular and so assured why do the radical liberals not let it be fought out in election booths at the state level? Why must it be imposed by the courts? The issue will merely further politicize the court and erode the constitution. If the tax laws and other supposed unequal treatment harms single people, by all means change the laws, but why erode the constitution? The answer is simple, because that is the real goal.
The American public's apparent surrender to same-sex marriage -- the Pew Research Center says 49 percent of us now support it, with just 44 percent opposed -- has been much remarked lately. I think I can explain it in part.
- Exonerated, Chris Christie taunts the press by embracing Roger Goodell Noah Rothman 32 mins ago
- Scotland votes No to independence Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- Video: Shep vs. Earnest Mary Katharine Ham 11 hours ago
- In New York City, a safety regulation makes the streets less safe Mary Katharine Ham 11 hours ago
- Federal investigators find no connection between Christie and Bridgegate Ed Morrissey 12 hours ago