The urge to separate derives from centralized control of things better left to communities, towns, cities, cultures and nation states. In a global economy trade should be global, but there are few reasons to centralize most government policies, i.e. "public goods" When Europe or the US for that matter, was a customs union of internal free trade it grew prosperous and enjoyed peace. As it centralizes the cultural, ideological, and necessary governance give rise to conflict. The only reason to centralize was national defense and trade policy to defend free trade from local protectionist interests. As the centralized bureaucracy gathers power to itself, it threatens the thing that matters most, free markets and free trade.
- New solution to border crisis: Send U.S. officials to Honduras to give kids refugee status? Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- Boehner accuses White House of sabotaging Veterans Affairs bill Noah Rothman 8 hours ago
- NFL suspends Ray Rice for two games in domestic-assault case Ed Morrissey 9 hours ago
- Great news from Hillary: The Russian reset worked Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- Thursday TEMS: Duane Patterson, Daniel Garza, Mike McFadden Ed Morrissey 9 hours ago
- FEC Chairman sounds alarm to Hot Air: There’s a ‘move afoot to constrict press freedoms’ Noah Rothman 10 hours ago