Warren Buffett has released his annual encyclical on the need to raise taxes for the wealthy, from theNew York Times, the de facto cathedral of the Church of Enlightened Envy. As usual the arguments make no sense, and conservatives have issued the usual challenges: Capital gains taxes are a second layer of taxation, so it’s irrational to compare that only to a middle class person’s total tax rate; capital gains tax rates are lower because capital is at risk from speculative losses, unlike wage and salary income; capital gains rates are lower because most capital gains are long term,...
Gentle Readers, Dear John, Bullseye! You hit it dead center! Would you like, - a Kewpie Doll, or - a Cigar? Mr. Buffet has organized his financial life, his income & assets, in such as way, as to avoid all of the tax increases he proposes other people should pay. It's very simple: OPM, Other Peoples Money. Other people should pay taxes, and his firms are organized so that he always earns money even if some investors lose theirs! ( and he avoids taxes on his earnings ) Sincerely, John Lepant Brighton CO ps: Would this be a ' Dear John ' letter? ;)
- Sen. Landrieu’s first ad: “What I said to the president is, you told them you could keep it” Erika Johnsen 27 minutes ago
- Boehner: These conservative groups who are objecting to the budget deal are “ridiculous” Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- EPA on the Renewable Fuel Standard: Uhm, we’re totally just now realizing that this is unrealistic and inadvisable Erika Johnsen 2 hours ago
- Uh oh: Only 5-15% of enrollees have paid their first month of premiums in some ObamaCare plans Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- New data from HHS: 365,000 sign-ups for ObamaCare plans so far Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Report: Administration tells Israel it lied about Iran deal jeffdunetz 4 hours ago