As with freedom of expression (yelling "fire" in a crowded theatre), there are limits to freedom of association. I believe those limits are breached when talking about employment, as this is central to being able to enjoy the pursuit of happiness. As for forming clubs, I believe that social and cultural pressure would prevent the formation of a club nowadays that would exclude people on the basis of race. (Perhaps I am Polyanna, but I think we have grown much in the past 50 or so years.) On the other hand, men's clubs and women's clubs would likely be accepted to a large degree as people understand and accept the differences between men and women. Banning such associations would only have the members "dig in," to resist change. Great column Professor Williams. Thank you for writing it.
- Russian ambassador: We’re making it easier for Latvian ethnic Russians to get citizenship Ed Morrissey 14 minutes ago
- Let the primaries begin: Rand Paul, Ted Cruz battle over foreign policy Allahpundit 54 minutes ago
- True Detective finale: greatest miniseries end ever? Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- CPAC: Winners, losers, or just a debate? Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Senate Democrats plan all-night global-warming talkathon in support of … er … Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Video: Mystery of Flight 370 deepens Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago