As with freedom of expression (yelling "fire" in a crowded theatre), there are limits to freedom of association. I believe those limits are breached when talking about employment, as this is central to being able to enjoy the pursuit of happiness. As for forming clubs, I believe that social and cultural pressure would prevent the formation of a club nowadays that would exclude people on the basis of race. (Perhaps I am Polyanna, but I think we have grown much in the past 50 or so years.) On the other hand, men's clubs and women's clubs would likely be accepted to a large degree as people understand and accept the differences between men and women. Banning such associations would only have the members "dig in," to resist change. Great column Professor Williams. Thank you for writing it.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 36 mins ago
- Meh: Rahm Emanuel opens up big lead in Chicago runoff Mary Katharine Ham 1 hour ago
- Video: Barometers of political conventional wisdom say Hillary has a big problem, even on MSNBC Mary Katharine Ham 1 hour ago
- Poll: Hillary hurt by scandals in key swing states Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Rubio’s pollster: If the GOP doesn’t win more than 40% of the Latino vote next year, they’ll lose the election Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- In the fight against ISIS, two steps forward and one step back Noah Rothman 3 hours ago