As with freedom of expression (yelling "fire" in a crowded theatre), there are limits to freedom of association. I believe those limits are breached when talking about employment, as this is central to being able to enjoy the pursuit of happiness. As for forming clubs, I believe that social and cultural pressure would prevent the formation of a club nowadays that would exclude people on the basis of race. (Perhaps I am Polyanna, but I think we have grown much in the past 50 or so years.) On the other hand, men's clubs and women's clubs would likely be accepted to a large degree as people understand and accept the differences between men and women. Banning such associations would only have the members "dig in," to resist change. Great column Professor Williams. Thank you for writing it.
- New solution to border crisis: Send U.S. officials to Honduras to give kids refugee status? Allahpundit 15 hours ago
- Boehner accuses White House of sabotaging Veterans Affairs bill Noah Rothman 15 hours ago
- NFL suspends Ray Rice for two games in domestic-assault case Ed Morrissey 16 hours ago
- Great news from Hillary: The Russian reset worked Allahpundit 17 hours ago
- Thursday TEMS: Duane Patterson, Daniel Garza, Mike McFadden Ed Morrissey 17 hours ago
- FEC Chairman sounds alarm to Hot Air: There’s a ‘move afoot to constrict press freedoms’ Noah Rothman 17 hours ago