1 - 8

Owning Ideas

John7456 Wrote: Jan 28, 2015 12:56 PM
Patents need legal protection so that we encourage folks to innovate. The current law is 17 to 20 years from date of issue. Why not put the same protection on copyright, with the exception of corporate logos? (You don't want to have logos shared because it deceives consumers.) After all, if it is good enough to protect important scientific advances, then it should be good enough to cover the less important music and art.

Are Facts Obsolete?

John7456 Wrote: Dec 30, 2014 11:16 AM
It was also unnecessary and the proximate cause of his death. Yes, the man was in poor health, but I would imagine that if you put someone in a headlock and then put three other sizeable men on top of them, a person in decent health may well expire.

Are Facts Obsolete?

John7456 Wrote: Dec 30, 2014 11:09 AM
I agree with wholeheartedly with regard to Michael Brown, but the Eric Garner case is markedly different. He appeared to have his hands up and was slowly backing up when the police put him in the choke-hold. Then, with 4 men on top of him, he uttered those now famous words. There was no apparent need to use the force that the police used. Yes, he had a long criminal record of selling single cigarettes. That is a crime that one could reasonably compare to jay-walking, but much less dangerous. What happened to this man seems wrong...terribly wrong. We will never know, though, because there will not even be a trial.

My Veterans Day Test

John7456 Wrote: Nov 11, 2014 8:23 AM
There is another way to pass Chuck's test...serve in the military. I would like to thank my fellow veterans, including Mr. Norris.
Um...great idea. You realize of course, Michael, that the pols will keep the gas tax in place and put the transponders on the roads too.

The Trees

John7456 Wrote: Feb 24, 2014 10:47 AM
Really like this tune...it has always been a favorite of mine since first hearing it. Yup...nailed the meaning within a minute or two and certainly by the last stanza. Opened this article hoping that I would see the song...and delighting in seeing it as a favorite of Mr. Adams.

Touchy Topics

John7456 Wrote: Sep 04, 2013 8:12 AM
We are no more consistent or inconsistent than many liberals or progressives or whatever the current moniker. I would say, though, that conservatives are more attuned to the limited government model created by the Founders, and that I find more appealing than the model of government regulation supported by said liberals.

Touchy Topics

John7456 Wrote: Sep 04, 2013 8:08 AM
As with freedom of expression (yelling "fire" in a crowded theatre), there are limits to freedom of association. I believe those limits are breached when talking about employment, as this is central to being able to enjoy the pursuit of happiness. As for forming clubs, I believe that social and cultural pressure would prevent the formation of a club nowadays that would exclude people on the basis of race. (Perhaps I am Polyanna, but I think we have grown much in the past 50 or so years.) On the other hand, men's clubs and women's clubs would likely be accepted to a large degree as people understand and accept the differences between men and women. Banning such associations would only have the members "dig in," to resist change. Great column Professor Williams. Thank you for writing it.
1 - 8