Judicial Betrayal

John460 Wrote: Jul 04, 2012 12:32 PM
I said I don't understand the constitution question, not the constitution. Which part in particular are you referring to?

Judicial Betrayal

John460 Wrote: Jul 04, 2012 12:28 PM
"The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States". If constitutional powers define liberty for you then based on the above I'm not sure how SCOTUS did not uphold our most basic constitutional premise.

Judicial Betrayal

John460 Wrote: Jul 04, 2012 11:50 AM
As horrible a policy as Obamacare is (i can't see it being anything other than an utter disaster for medical care and our economy) I don't understand the argument that Roberts betrayed the constitution. On what grounds is Obamacare still deemed to be unconstitutional? I have taken the position that Roberts' decision was the right one. He has made it clear to the American people that they better start becoming more aware of the federal government's power grab over all facets of our lives. If we don't like what the politicians are doing we better start paying closer attention to what they are doing and who we are voting for. We desperately need a revival of interest in our government and I hope this is catalyst for that.

John Roberts' Arrogance

John460 Wrote: Jul 02, 2012 11:29 PM
I'd be happy to bring the matches to the bonfire. After all, if those pages don't burn it will be healthcare costs that will end up burning up an ever greater percentage of our economy.

John Roberts' Arrogance

John460 Wrote: Jul 02, 2012 11:25 PM
I'll take having Obamacare as still the law of the land, for what I expect to be a short time, in exchange for the narrowing of the interpretation of the Commerce Clause. Obamacare was dropping like a rock in popularity even before this ruling and with the tax label it's sure to plummet further. Anyone up for reelection this fall who decides to stand up against the rushing tide of repeal only has their feet planted in the sand. I expect them to get washed away.

John Roberts' Arrogance

John460 Wrote: Jul 02, 2012 11:16 PM
"The problem is that Roberts' interpretation is not fairly, or even remotely, possible. If the law had been written in the Roberts version -- as a regressive federal tax on the uninsured -- there is no chance it would have passed Congress." The logic of these statements is flawed. This is pure speculation considering Obama and the Democrats wanted to pass a Healthcare bill no matter what (we have to pass it to find out what's in it). Using the logic that people behaving differently based on the tax/mandate label is not a valid support of the argument that the law was changed. The actions of taxpayers is what dictates how the law is applied to them, not the manner in how they came to the decision of what action to take.

Video: How Liberals Argue

John460 Wrote: Jun 28, 2012 12:02 AM
Which apology are you referring to? The one from Obama for losing MY money? Because I certainly don't need one from Mitt for losing his or his investor's money.

Video: How Liberals Argue

John460 Wrote: Jun 26, 2012 11:32 PM
Guy, you only needed to say one thing in response to his babbling diatribe blaming big oil and Bain Capital...Solyndra.
This more than just about the kids helping their parents run their farms. I picked tobacco for a summer when I was 14 years old. It certainly was a motivating factor for me in studying hard so I wouldn't have to make something like that my career. If I didn't have that opportunity I probably would have sat on my duff the entire summer instead.
I'm guessing the numbers don't include people who have moved out of the country to find work either. Like the man my friend is training in Mexico City who moved there because he had been unemployed for 2 years and has family there. People moving from the US to Mexico to get work...that's not just eye-opening, it's scary.