Conservatives have made huge strides in advancing their political beliefs in certain niches of public policy at the state level, such as promoting school choice, limiting abortion access, and 2nd Amendment rights in respect to right to carry laws. Albeit in no other area has the right-wing philosophy been the most legislatively progressive than in the field of taxes. In 1980, when Ronald Reagan became President the top marginal income tax rate was 70% and it has been between 28% and 39% since the Gipper left the Oval office. Even in President Obama’s first term when the Democratic Party also enjoyed...
Milt: I agree. Property taxes are the most equitable and reliable form of taxation as everyone either owns or rents property in some way-shape-or-form, either to live in, to work in or to rent. More importantly it's very hard for landlord or tenant to avoid property taxes--unlike income, excise or sales taxes, etc--real estate isn't going anywhere. The only question is fair valuation of the property, which isn't a very complicated process. All taxation should be property-based. Problem is there's no tradition of federal property taxes, which is a REAL big problem. I spent the first 20 years of my life in ND and I'm a bit surprised at this initiative, as North Dakotans are very practical people Cheers. John Onstad Santa Fe, NM
- Hillarynomics: Businesses don’t create jobs Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Christie, Cuomo enact stricter travel restrictions as new patient showed symptoms in NJ, tests negative Jazz Shaw 3 hours ago
- Study: Non-citizens are voting in federal elections — and probably tipped at least one Senate race to Democrats Allahpundit 14 hours ago
- HHS official to Congress: I’m totally in charge, but that doesn’t mean I can prioritize Ebola prep over puppet shows Mary Katharine Ham 14 hours ago
- All in: Democrats plan full-court press to defeat Walker Guy Benson 15 hours ago
- Oh, by the way: North Korea now knows how to build small nuclear warheads for delivery via ICBM Allahpundit 16 hours ago