Conservatives have made huge strides in advancing their political beliefs in certain niches of public policy at the state level, such as promoting school choice, limiting abortion access, and 2nd Amendment rights in respect to right to carry laws. Albeit in no other area has the right-wing philosophy been the most legislatively progressive than in the field of taxes. In 1980, when Ronald Reagan became President the top marginal income tax rate was 70% and it has been between 28% and 39% since the Gipper left the Oval office. Even in President Obama’s first term when the Democratic Party also enjoyed...
Milt: I agree. Property taxes are the most equitable and reliable form of taxation as everyone either owns or rents property in some way-shape-or-form, either to live in, to work in or to rent. More importantly it's very hard for landlord or tenant to avoid property taxes--unlike income, excise or sales taxes, etc--real estate isn't going anywhere. The only question is fair valuation of the property, which isn't a very complicated process. All taxation should be property-based. Problem is there's no tradition of federal property taxes, which is a REAL big problem. I spent the first 20 years of my life in ND and I'm a bit surprised at this initiative, as North Dakotans are very practical people Cheers. John Onstad Santa Fe, NM
- Obama’s ISIS Tap Dance Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- Rumor du jour: House GOP working on “punishment” for votes against Boehner as Speaker Jazz Shaw 2 hours ago
- Ukraine, rebels agree on buffer zone, withdrawal of foreign troops and “mercenaries” Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago
- Could Louisiana elect an 87 year old Democrat felon to Congress? Jazz Shaw 5 hours ago
- ESPN: Ravens’ “misdirection” kept curiously passive NFL in the dark on video Ed Morrissey 7 hours ago
- Demands grow to end secrecy – and robbery – at Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac Jazz Shaw 8 hours ago