I just wish all moderators of the debates would take a lesson from Lehrer. His method allowed the contestants to give their ideas, not respond to an offshoot idea from the commentator. Lehrer really surprised me.
Jim Lehrer was effective in one area as the moderator of the first Presidential Debate of 2012. That is, he convinced the audience to not be a factor by remaining generally quiet. While he was not very effective in controlling the candidates, Lehrer’s style seemed to work out well in facilitating his primary goal of drawing out ideological contrasts.
- White House giving up fight over Obamacare’s contraception mandate? Noah Rothman 14 minutes ago
- Kerry arrives in Israel for cease-fire talks Ed Morrissey 53 minutes ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- Sally Kohn: How can Israel supporters argue the IDF’s violence is justified, but Hamas’ isn’t? Guy Benson 10 hours ago
- Most transparent administration ever closes Apollo 11 anniversary event to press Mary Katharine Ham 11 hours ago
- Chuck Schumer: What say we have fully open primaries from now on? Allahpundit 12 hours ago