Those critics have less influence all the time. Some 18 states permit medical use of marijuana, and in November, Colorado and Washington voted to allow recreational use. Nationally, support for legalization is steadily rising. A decade ago, one of every three Americans favored the idea. Today, nearly half do -- and among those under 50, a large...
I don't like Mariah Carey's singing or urban yodeling in general. I won't start a campaign to banish it if other people enjoy it. I don't enjoy marijuana, so I don't partake. Likewise, I won't start a campaign to banish it. It's not a publish health issue - I can't catch a high just because someone in my vicinity is high. When individuals infringe on the rights of others as a consequence of using marijuana (e.g., DUI), there are already laws to address this. So why the "war on drugs"?
As recreational drugs go, marijuana is relatively benign. Unlike alcohol, it doesn't stimulate violence or destroy livers. Unlike tobacco, it doesn't cause lung cancer and heart disease. The worst you can say is that it produces intense, unreasoning panic. Not in users, but in critics.
- Democrats celebrate ‘midterm gift’ of GOP’s failure to pass border bill Noah Rothman 48 minutes ago
- Eric Cantor gives up, will resign from Congress early Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- 72-Hour ceasefire in Gaza lasted just 90 minutes Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 12 hours ago
- Ebola: First case coming to America Mary Katharine Ham 12 hours ago
- Wisconsin Supreme Court upholds Gov. Scott Walker’s signature Act 10 in its entirety Mary Katharine Ham 13 hours ago