Those critics have less influence all the time. Some 18 states permit medical use of marijuana, and in November, Colorado and Washington voted to allow recreational use. Nationally, support for legalization is steadily rising. A decade ago, one of every three Americans favored the idea. Today, nearly half do -- and among those under 50, a large...
I don't like Mariah Carey's singing or urban yodeling in general. I won't start a campaign to banish it if other people enjoy it. I don't enjoy marijuana, so I don't partake. Likewise, I won't start a campaign to banish it. It's not a publish health issue - I can't catch a high just because someone in my vicinity is high. When individuals infringe on the rights of others as a consequence of using marijuana (e.g., DUI), there are already laws to address this. So why the "war on drugs"?
As recreational drugs go, marijuana is relatively benign. Unlike alcohol, it doesn't stimulate violence or destroy livers. Unlike tobacco, it doesn't cause lung cancer and heart disease. The worst you can say is that it produces intense, unreasoning panic. Not in users, but in critics.
- Climate change so important that cable news ignored Obama’s UN speech Noah Rothman 31 mins ago
- Bill O’Reilly: Why not raise a 25,000-man global mercenary army to fight ISIS? Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Video: Semi-retired president now saluting Marines with coffee in hand Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Video: MNsure renewal process nonexistent Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Pentagon: ‘Years’ of war ahead in Syria and Iraq Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Carson: “Likelihood is strong” that I’ll run for President in 2016 Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago