Those critics have less influence all the time. Some 18 states permit medical use of marijuana, and in November, Colorado and Washington voted to allow recreational use. Nationally, support for legalization is steadily rising. A decade ago, one of every three Americans favored the idea. Today, nearly half do -- and among those under 50, a large...
I don't like Mariah Carey's singing or urban yodeling in general. I won't start a campaign to banish it if other people enjoy it. I don't enjoy marijuana, so I don't partake. Likewise, I won't start a campaign to banish it. It's not a publish health issue - I can't catch a high just because someone in my vicinity is high. When individuals infringe on the rights of others as a consequence of using marijuana (e.g., DUI), there are already laws to address this. So why the "war on drugs"?
As recreational drugs go, marijuana is relatively benign. Unlike alcohol, it doesn't stimulate violence or destroy livers. Unlike tobacco, it doesn't cause lung cancer and heart disease. The worst you can say is that it produces intense, unreasoning panic. Not in users, but in critics.
- Rand Paul: Let’s get this straight — I’m not for containing Iran Allahpundit 39 minutes ago
- Biofuels producers: No really, this is the year biofuels are going to take off, for serious Erika Johnsen 1 hour ago
- Why not Mike Pence in 2016? Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Report: That recent deceleration in healthcare spending? Yeah, that’s probably over Erika Johnsen 2 hours ago
- New Fox ensemble show to feature Townhall’s Katie Pavlich as contributor Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Surprise: Democrat-aligned groups vastly out-raising conservative counterparts in 2014 Guy Benson 3 hours ago