Those critics have less influence all the time. Some 18 states permit medical use of marijuana, and in November, Colorado and Washington voted to allow recreational use. Nationally, support for legalization is steadily rising. A decade ago, one of every three Americans favored the idea. Today, nearly half do -- and among those under 50, a large...
Pat Kennedy (like his famous relatives) is a pretend defender of civil liberties. Like his father and grandfather he is an authoritarian. Those who continue to return these kinds of people to office surely do not wish to be free men and women. In Plato's Republic, a "just" society is divided into three classes: Guardians (rule makers), Auxiliaries (soldiers and enforcers of the rules), and Workers (those who are forced to follow the arbitrary rules of the guardians). Kennedy (and those like him) secretly resent civil liberties and covet (and apparently achieve) Guardian status in our society. The American Revolution was fought to prevent the creation of a class of would be "kings" yet voters seem determined to simply hand it over.
As recreational drugs go, marijuana is relatively benign. Unlike alcohol, it doesn't stimulate violence or destroy livers. Unlike tobacco, it doesn't cause lung cancer and heart disease. The worst you can say is that it produces intense, unreasoning panic. Not in users, but in critics.
- Scarborough: Obama saying he has no strategy against ISIS is a tactic straight out of “The Art of War” Allahpundit 50 mins ago
- Ed Henry goes there: Why is Obama fundraising after admitting he has no ISIS strategy? Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Change: Obama set to delay executive amnesty until after the midterms? Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- End of an era: Chelsea Clinton leaves NBC Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Inside the collapse of Obama’s Syria ‘strategy’ Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- Politico, WaPo, ABC: This “no strategy” comment will do serious damage Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago