I don't want to live in a world of complete conformity and group-think. The author promotes bigger government through this "thoughtful look". Authoritarianism is anti-American. It strikes me the case is subtlely being made to restore the 18th Amendment - only on a broader scale. I have no idea why it would work today when it failed so miserably in the 1920's. The simple fact is the "War on Drugs" is, and will always be, a failing endeavor. How about prohibiting substances like Zoloft, Xanax, Paxil, Clonazepam , etc.? Mental health practitioners seem to pass out these "legal" medications like they're candy, yet there are significant individual abuses and additional societal problems as a consequence.

The Tyranny of Solutions

jmonaco Wrote: Jan 14, 2013 5:11 PM
What is worse - one tyrant three thousand miles away or three thousand tyrants one mile away? Now we have both.

The Tyranny of Solutions

jmonaco Wrote: Jan 14, 2013 5:10 PM
And these willing to sell votes to the professional politicians for meager scraps and also complicit.

The Tyranny of Solutions

jmonaco Wrote: Jan 14, 2013 5:07 PM
I agree.

The Tyranny of Solutions

jmonaco Wrote: Jan 14, 2013 5:06 PM
Very true!

Jobs Stall Out in 2012-Q4

jmonaco Wrote: Jan 13, 2013 1:22 PM
My browser could not display the chart - resulted in an error.

Cutting Jobs to the Bone

jmonaco Wrote: Jan 13, 2013 1:19 PM
The hiring/firing roller coasters foretell of once functioning systems approaching collapse. The organizational systems that are (trying to be) maintained have become so complex that reducing staffs will ultimately result in total collapse. There are limits to the possibility of replacing humans with clever hardware and software. The unacknowledged fact is the hw-sw systems come from human designers & implementers who cannot create perfect systems. Cut those staffs and the systems become more even more imperfect. More technology will not resolve this issue. Consider simple (common) everyday failures like med-labs losing samples or doctors-pharmacies-health insurance companies unable to refill prescriptions due to communication failures.

Farewell, Mr. Boortz

jmonaco Wrote: Jan 10, 2013 5:38 PM
Overall I enjoy Boortz, though I see why some would consider him obnoxious. I found him quite intellectual compared to many on Talk Radio.

Five Good Men

jmonaco Wrote: Jan 07, 2013 9:43 AM
KT -- My experience tells me your predicted consequences are pretty close to the mark. I was disillusioned and ashamed when I observed that both of my Senators voted in favor of the "compromise bill".

The Safety Net That Isn't