The War on Pot: Not a Safe Bet

jmonaco Wrote: Jan 20, 2013 1:12 PM
I just wish people would learn to spell, and use proper grammar and diction so I can understand the thoughts they are trying to state. :-o

The War on Pot: Not a Safe Bet

jmonaco Wrote: Jan 20, 2013 1:05 PM
Pat Kennedy (like his famous relatives) is a pretend defender of civil liberties. Like his father and grandfather he is an authoritarian. Those who continue to return these kinds of people to office surely do not wish to be free men and women. In Plato's Republic, a "just" society is divided into three classes: Guardians (rule makers), Auxiliaries (soldiers and enforcers of the rules), and Workers (those who are forced to follow the arbitrary rules of the guardians). Kennedy (and those like him) secretly resent civil liberties and covet (and apparently achieve) Guardian status in our society. The American Revolution was fought to prevent the creation of a class of would be "kings" yet voters seem determined to simply hand it over.

Lance Confesses on Oprah's Couch

jmonaco Wrote: Jan 19, 2013 10:36 AM
Fooling -- I ask myself how a minor sport in America, like cycling, could rise to celebrity status. It must have something to do with ourselves and how we individuals possess an inherent herd mentality. A little superficial media exposure and voila, we act nonsensically. I'll never understand why people fawn over "celebrities".

Lance Confesses on Oprah's Couch

jmonaco Wrote: Jan 19, 2013 10:16 AM
hotdog -- You're right, Lance Armstrong needs to return all settlement monies he fraudulently obtained - and hope he's not counter sued. It's "Lyle Alzado" (nose tackle - Browns, Raiders) who died from steroid use. That's why I don't care about athletes who violate performance enhancement rules - natural selection ultimately can't be cheated. Lance Armstrong actually does "have" a bike shop.

Lance Confesses on Oprah's Couch

jmonaco Wrote: Jan 19, 2013 10:06 AM
In some states they stae benefits will be cut off if drug or alcohol abuse is detected and in some cases they actually do conduct drug testing. I don't think tht is true for all states.
I had hoped for a more profound article. Summed up, "Bob" is not fiscally conservative and probably has no sense of himself. And I think Bob's thoughts and behaviors accurately (and sadly) reflect the plurality (if not the majority) of Americans today - a walking contraction (maybe even schizophrenic).

Bursting the University Bubble

jmonaco Wrote: Jan 18, 2013 11:41 AM
The two worst ideas the American Progressives borrowed from Prussia were Social Security and their model of Public School Education. Of the two, education has led to the worst results and a decline in true literacy. I wonder when people will get it through their heads that the American Dream is the belief in the possibility of self-government. That belief has been undermined by Madison Avenue ad agencies and unbridled avaricious materialism. Self-government has been exchanged for a frozen dinner in the microwave, a luxurious vacation, 2 cars in every garage, a plasma TV in every room, and a smartphone for all. I tell young people to not worry about a degree and design their own education curriculum from multiple sources.
I agree BiggDonn ... Americans should be free to choose how they live their lives and accept the consequences thereof. It is not the role of American government to regulate how we eat or recreate. Anyone who thinks otherwise subordinates their best interest to the arbitrary will of the state.
Second hand smoke arguments are another lame excuse for democracy - aka "tyranny by the majority".
I don't use doobie, but that's the conclusion I have reached.
I don't want to live in a world of complete conformity and group-think. The author promotes bigger government through this "thoughtful look". Authoritarianism is anti-American. It strikes me the case is subtlely being made to restore the 18th Amendment - only on a broader scale. I have no idea why it would work today when it failed so miserably in the 1920's. The simple fact is the "War on Drugs" is, and will always be, a failing endeavor. How about prohibiting substances like Zoloft, Xanax, Paxil, Clonazepam , etc.? Mental health practitioners seem to pass out these "legal" medications like they're candy, yet there are significant individual abuses and additional societal problems as a consequence.