Most of us today think of Harlem as a black community, but it was not that for most of its 400-year history. John James Audubon, famed for his studies of birds, was...
Thank you for an interesting look at Harlem. It seems sad to me that blacks know so little of their own history though most americans regardless of race seem to know just as little. The biggest problem especially in the inner cities is lack of personal responsibility and lack of moral standards. When I say moral standards I do not neccessarily mean in a religious sense (all though that does help) but in a sense that some things are just not the right thing to do. Our socierty as a whole suffers from this problem. I am not without sin in this regard so don't take it as me preaching from some moral high ground. But look inside your daily life and see how many times you take shortcuts or violate "Little" laws without a thought.
Books about the history of Harlem have long fascinated me -- my favorite being "When Harlem Was in Vogue" by David Levering Lewis. However, a more recent book, titled simply "Harlem" by Jonathan Gill, presents a more comprehensive history -- going all the way back to the time when the Dutch were the first settlers of New York, and named that area for the city of Haarlem in the Netherlands.
- Boehner: You know what would help our economy? Immigration reform Allahpundit 20 mins ago
- White House: It’s not combat, but US troops will return fire if they’re shot at… Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Stemwinder: Rand Paul rips Obama’s Syria plan, McCain, Kerry, Hillary, interventionists, anti-war hypocrites, you name it Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Congressman: The CIA thinks Obama’s strategy of arming Syrian moderates is “doomed to failure” Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Ukrainian President warns joint session of Congress of the ‘new Cold War’ Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- Open thread: Will Scotland declare independence? Allahpundit 3 hours ago