The white smoke and ringing bells announced to the world that the cardinal electors had chosen a new pope, and about an hour later, Jorge Cardinal Bergoglio took St. Peter's balcony as Pope Francis I. He has the distinction of being the first pope from the Americas, as he is an Argentinian of Italian descent. He formerly served as the head of the Jesuit order, as well as Archbishop of Buenos Aires, and is currently 75 years old. Pope John Paul II named him a cardinal. He is said to be known for his humility and devotion to simplicity, which...
In response to:
The "Catholics worship Mary" lie has been so thoroughly debunked for centuries that to constantly bring it up is nothing more than bigoted, ignorant hate. It is bible thumper language equivalent to "All blacks like watermelon." So Mary, the first and most perfect Christian, isn't in heaven? Those in heaven can't hear us and pray for us? A ridiculous claim, totally invented by Protestants when for 1500 years Christians believed nothing of the sort. Its called the Communion of Saints. The Church on Earth and the those who have made it to Heaven are united.
- ICE has the chance to catch Jose Antonio Vargas RIGHT NOW Jazz Shaw 23 minutes ago
- Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 13 hours ago
- WMD in Iraq a rather nuanced issue Ed Morrissey 14 hours ago
- Perry: Rand Paul’s position on Iraq is “disheartening … curiously blind” Ed Morrissey 16 hours ago
- Joni Ernst will miss two weeks on the campaign trail… to serve in uniform Jazz Shaw 17 hours ago