As documented on the Durham County, N.C., website, the position of sheriff originated in England more than 1,000 years ago, known then as a shire-reeve, who was "the steward of the King's estates, guardian of the peace, judge and jury of the Shire County (county court) and was the local agent of...
I lived in Phoenix for a year back in 2002-2003 and I admired Sheriff Joe for what he has done for Maricopa County. Despite what the Feds and everybody else is saying, Sheriff Joe is an elected official. The people have spoken and desire to have him as their duly elected Sheriff. Most of the Feds are not elected and therefore do NOT speak for the people. The good people of Maricopa county have spoken and basically told the Feds, GO AWAY and let us run our county. Eric Holder and company should all be fired and replaced with someone that guarantees our rights, not takes them away.
For many, the term "sheriff" conjures up images of the Old West. A few may consider a sheriff to have some form of outdated and obsolete political office. But for me and countless other patriots across our nation, a sheriff is the epitome of good and necessary county law enforcement.
- Ukraine rebel leader: Yeah, we had a BUK system — and sent it back to Russia Ed Morrissey 23 minutes ago
- Did Cuomo obstruct his own anti-corruption crusade? Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Planned Parenthood teen sex education: You could get tied to a tree … Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Paul Ryan, 2016? Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Obama: I don’t watch the news because I usually already know the stuff they’re reporting Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Perdue grabs surprise runoff victory over Kingston in Georgia Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago