The measure, unless blocked by a judge, will take effect in six months. The health board vote was the only regulatory approval needed to become binding in the city, but the American soft-drink industry has strongly opposed...
In response to:
This will send even more NYC expatriates headed south. Oy vey. On the positive side, think of the 'bootlegging' economic opportunities for smuggling 16+ ounce sodas into New York. 'Sheesh, Officer, it must have fallen off a truck. How was I supposed to know? You know I can't read or do math thanks to NYC public schools'. The courts will be hiring as will NYPD to enforce all the felony possession of soft drink laws, and teachers to teach reading and 'rithmatic. Obama said we need more COPS, teachers and government prosecutors to stimulate the economy didn't he?
The New York City Board of Health today approved Mayor Michael Bloomberg's proposal to ban sugary drinks that come in sizes larger than 16 oz on a unanimous 9-0 vote. This was mildly surprising considering the national controversy that broke out in the wake of Bloomberg's initial plan, but the New York City bureaucrats have never been receptive to public outcry.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- Of course: 2014 Obama’s position on Ex-Im Bank is the opposite of 2008 Obama’s Mary Katharine Ham 10 hours ago
- Wes Clark: Clinton had an opportunity to go in on the ground to get Bin Laden but it was “a lot of logistics” Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- I guess we need to talk about Joe Biden skinny dipping, huh? Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Obama: This congressional deadlock on immigration means “I’m going to have to act alone” Allahpundit 12 hours ago
- TEMS Friday: Guest hosting the Hugh Hewitt Show Ed Morrissey 12 hours ago