The measure, unless blocked by a judge, will take effect in six months. The health board vote was the only regulatory approval needed to become binding in the city, but the American soft-drink industry has strongly opposed...
In response to:
This will send even more NYC expatriates headed south. Oy vey. On the positive side, think of the 'bootlegging' economic opportunities for smuggling 16+ ounce sodas into New York. 'Sheesh, Officer, it must have fallen off a truck. How was I supposed to know? You know I can't read or do math thanks to NYC public schools'. The courts will be hiring as will NYPD to enforce all the felony possession of soft drink laws, and teachers to teach reading and 'rithmatic. Obama said we need more COPS, teachers and government prosecutors to stimulate the economy didn't he?
The New York City Board of Health today approved Mayor Michael Bloomberg's proposal to ban sugary drinks that come in sizes larger than 16 oz on a unanimous 9-0 vote. This was mildly surprising considering the national controversy that broke out in the wake of Bloomberg's initial plan, but the New York City bureaucrats have never been receptive to public outcry.
- Last straw: ObamaCare now ruining baseball Mary Katharine Ham 27 mins ago
- US reconfirms policy of not paying ransoms to terrorists for abducted Americans Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Jake Tapper: Getting a conviction against Darren Wilson could be an ‘uphill battle’ Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- NYT poll: 65% of whites, 80% of blacks say police shouldn’t have military-style weapons Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- In effort to shield Obama from criticism on ISIS, White House makes everything worse Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- Video: Mitt Romney takes the ALS Ice Bucket challenge Allahpundit 3 hours ago