These statements by Jefferson are not in our constitution. They were penned in a letter to a church that was concerned about the government encroaching upon their religious freedom and Jefferson was reassuring them that would not happen. Jefferson usedthe first Amendment as the basis of his reassurance. Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
How do you suppose the courts would view a letter from a teacher to her students ending with the wording, “I reciprocate your kind prayers for the protection and blessing of the common Father and Creator of man”? A little awkward for 21st Century English, but this is how Thomas Jefferson ended a letter that he wrote in January of 1802. Was Jefferson acting in violation of the U.S. Constitution by...
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- Yep: MSNBC would react quite differently if Tea Partiers threw rocks at them Mary Katharine Ham 8 hours ago
- Finally: George W. Bush takes the ALS Ice Bucket challenge Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- WaPo/ABC poll: Majority approves of airstrikes in Iraq … Ed Morrissey 10 hours ago
- Report: Two times as many British Muslims fighting for ISIS as with U.K. armed forces Noah Rothman 11 hours ago
- All in: Red-state Democrat Mark Pryor launches rare pro-ObamaCare midterm ad Allahpundit 11 hours ago