However, this intrinsic tension is distorted and magnified when the government starts choosing religions it will protect and religions it will allow to be sacrificed in the name of egalitarianism or as an attempt to make up for...
We need to stop calling Obamacare insurance. It has very little to do with insurance. Insurance is about reducing risk through risk pooling. A major medical plan is insurance. Something that covers birth control, wellness visits, and regular visits has nothing to do with insurance.
An intrinsic tension exists between religious freedom and the machinations of government. This is largely because neither men nor the governments men form are wholly free from evil. Thus James Madison’s timeless statement in Federalist 51: “If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary.”
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- Video: Canada’s Sergeant at Arms gets standing ovation after shooting terrorist while wearing tails Mary Katharine Ham 9 hours ago
- Poll: Republican gubernatorial candidate up two points in…Illinois? Mary Katharine Ham 10 hours ago
- Breaking: New Ebola case in NYC Ed Morrissey 10 hours ago
- Obama: Hey Georgia, do me a solid and elect Michelle Nunn Guy Benson 10 hours ago
- FBI warns ISIS trying to kidnap journalists abroad Noah Rothman 11 hours ago