However, this intrinsic tension is distorted and magnified when the government starts choosing religions it will protect and religions it will allow to be sacrificed in the name of egalitarianism or as an attempt to make up for...
We need to stop calling Obamacare insurance. It has very little to do with insurance. Insurance is about reducing risk through risk pooling. A major medical plan is insurance. Something that covers birth control, wellness visits, and regular visits has nothing to do with insurance.
An intrinsic tension exists between religious freedom and the machinations of government. This is largely because neither men nor the governments men form are wholly free from evil. Thus James Madison’s timeless statement in Federalist 51: “If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary.”
- Immigration advocates mad that feds might let young illegals choose deportation voluntarily Allahpundit 22 minutes ago
- Kurds seize two oil fields, pull out of Iraqi government Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Great news: VA overpaying misclassified workers by millions … and can’t fix it Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Obama aims to keep Democrats happy while he coasts to 2016 Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- WaPo: Is “the bear” loose … or is it an ostrich? Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Federal judge to IRS: Explain these “lost” e-mails, please … under oath Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago