All this reminds me of that mythical Senate hearing where the pompous senator asks a businessman why prices are so high and the businessman answers, "It's the law of supply and demand, Senator." To which the senator replies, "Well, then, we'll just have to repeal that law." Over and over our governments try to legislate against the laws of economics and then wonder why there are always "unintended consequences" that are worse than the original problem. Minimum wage laws are a perfect example. I suppose the politicians must believe that if they ignore the consequences, higher unemployment, a lagging economy, that they'll somehow go away. Of course, they don't. All minimum wage laws should be the ones repealed.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- WMD in Iraq a rather nuanced issue Ed Morrissey 11 hours ago
- Perry: Rand Paul’s position on Iraq is “disheartening … curiously blind” Ed Morrissey 13 hours ago
- Joni Ernst will miss two weeks on the campaign trail… to serve in uniform Jazz Shaw 14 hours ago
- UN Security Council issues non-binding call for cease fire in Gaza Ed Morrissey 16 hours ago
- UAW decides to skip election and form union at VW anyway Jazz Shaw 17 hours ago