Dear Heather, Welfare is the bait on the hook of totalitarianism. Can you not see that this policy you are recommending is a form of totalitarian thinking? Nothing could be further from traditional American conservative thought. What people choose to eat, do, wear, think, say is their own business, not yours, and not the government's. Welfare is a very bad and destructive idea, but if it is going to be doled out, at least leave individuals free to spend it as they wish. That this idea should emanate from a Republican is shocking enough. That you, a presumable conservative, support it, is nothing short of astonishing. And terribly ominous.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- Breaking: Pentagon reports first airstrikes in Syria Update: Coalition Arab countries added Mary Katharine Ham 8 hours ago
- Issa: Americans deserve to hear from Lerner under oath, not in the press Mary Katharine Ham 8 hours ago
- Poll: Plurality now think businesses that provide wedding services should be required to serve gay weddings too Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- Poet: I would have died for my aborted daughter’s right to choose, just like she died for mine Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- Resurrected monster General Motors is still killing people Noah Rothman 10 hours ago