Roger Scruton, the public philosopher and conservative commentator, writes in Aeon magazine, a provocative digital magazine of ideas and culture, how fake ideas, fake criticism and fake emotions have come to dominate public conversation and marginalize thoughtful appreciation of beauty, truth and honest debate. His initial concern is about the collusion of...
I've just heard of a group of artists called the Stuckists. They seem to be against the fake art that you're talking about. One of their slogans is that if it has to be in a gallery to be art, it isn't art.
Here's a resolution for one and all as we slide down the fiscal cliff (or not): Beware of fakery in popular places. Fakery, particularly in the culture both high and low, bubbles up from the media, affecting the way we see everything -- even, for example, politics.
- Crumble: Wendy Davis trails by 16, down two among women, leads by just two with Latinos Allahpundit 22 mins ago
- Circular firing squad: Democrats ready to dump on Obama if they lose the Senate Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- US training Syrian opposition for defense only against ISIS Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Video: Who’s up for another lecture from Shep Smith about how to properly react to a crisis? Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Video: Canada shooter was in contact with “individuals in Syria” Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- A whopping 9% of likely voters “enthusiastic” about Barack Obama Jazz Shaw 3 hours ago