Well, the unthinkable happened. The Senate's sweeping gun legislation came up short on the votes required to move forward. And despite all the idealistic calls for passage and despite the fact that many pundits and advocates seem to believe that something should be law simply because "the vast...
David is right, who cares what 90% of Americans and even 80% of NRA members want. What is important are the opinions of the gun makers of the NRA, the real financial backing of the NRA and probably other anti-gun control groups. It is what their opinion matters. It is the opinion of Colt or Smith and Wesson. Their opinion is what counts. So some violent felons can walk up to a non-federally licensed dealer at a gun show in some states and buy a gun without a background check? Who cares, Colt and other gun makers have spoken and the Senators in the GOP know who they work for. It is not their own voters, but the gun makers.
President Barack Obama has been struggling to wrap his head around the "unimaginable" idea that Congress may "defy" the American people and stop a vote on a gun control package compromise. The notion, he says, resists the "overwhelming instinct of the American people" after the massacre in Newtown, Conn., to pass gun control legislation.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- Obama: The world’s always been messy, but now social media is amplifying it Mary Katharine Ham 6 hours ago
- Video: Hot Air exclusive interview with Gov. Rick Perry Ed Morrissey 6 hours ago
- “Walking Dead” grumble thread: Hey, maybe Daryl’s gay Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- Report: ISIS eyeing Mexican border to infiltrate America and execute terrorist attacks Noah Rothman 8 hours ago
- Should Kirsten Gillibrand name the senator who told her “I like my girls chubby”? Allahpundit 8 hours ago