Since Barack Obama's re-election, hundreds...
, or "contraband", with no rights as citizens. If Lincoln had tried to free the slaves by executive order, then he would have had a rebellion of several northern states. As it was, many union units deserted thinking Lincoln was fighting the war over slavery. But, saying he transformed the Civil War into a "War of Freedom" makes for good TV viewing in the late 20th century. Ultimately, the slaves were freed by the 13th Amendment which outlawed "involuntary servitude." Also, Lincoln actually had plans for making some sort of payment for former slaves and repatriating them to Africa because, like most white people of his time, he believed blacks and whites were generally socially incompatible and was afraid of the effects of cheap black labor
For decades, it has been obvious that there are irreconcilable differences between Americans who want to control the lives of others and those who wish to be left alone. Which is the more peaceful solution: Americans using the brute force of government to beat liberty-minded people into submission or simply parting company? In a marriage, where vows are ignored and broken, divorce is the most peaceful solution. Similarly, our constitutional and human rights have been increasingly violated by a government instituted to protect them. Americans who support constitutional abrogation have no intention of mending their ways.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- Video: President shops at Gap same day his party loses bellwether election in swing state Mary Katharine Ham 8 hours ago
- Sheila Jackson Lee: We’ve lasted some 400 years operating under the Constitution… Erika Johnsen 8 hours ago
- Sebelius: Why, no, we have no idea who’s paid for their ObamaCare plans Mary Katharine Ham 9 hours ago
- Tesla: Chris Christie’s administration just blocked us from selling our cars in New Jersey Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- Obama to Putin: It’s not too late to rethink this Crimea thing, you know Allahpundit 10 hours ago