WWI, the Not So Great War

Jeff1138 Wrote: 12 hours ago (6:17 PM)
No war has EVER resulted in exactly what the initiators intended with no other consequences. Nations go to war for some perceived purpose, but the immutable logic of the guns always twists the outcome into new and unforeseen paths that lead to unimaginably different results for everyone. Does anyone really think that Desert Storm was undertaken to cause the complete disruption of the Persian Gulf and the Middle East -- as opposed to its announced goal of "liberating Kuwait?" But what we see occurring now in the Middle East is a direct result of that operation. And that operation had its seeds sown in the British campaign against the Ottoman Turks in World War I. The bottom line is that no one can foresee the outcome of consequences of war once it begins, and those outcomes and consequences can lead to the deaths of millions more. People should keep that in mind when they advocate fighting some cozy little war someplace.
Just another unlawful order by some PC hack that got his position by overusing his knee-pads at some Democratic fundraiser. Frankly, were I on active duty and given such an order, I would tear it up and inform the person so ordering me that he or she was completely out of line.

The July Crisis of 1914

Jeff1138 Wrote: Jul 30, 2014 3:40 PM
Yep -- World War I gave us, among other things, the modern Middle East as well as leading directly to World War II. Churchill was absolutely correct when he referred to the World Wars as "a new thirty years war," and the implications of this more recent version are just as powerful and long-lasting as the implications of the original Thirty Years War.

Democrats' Impeachment Fixation

Jeff1138 Wrote: Jul 30, 2014 3:21 PM
Except that Obama will undoubtedly appoint a few more communists to high positions in their absence.
So their best plan for winning is more racial division and exploiting Jews and gays? And people wonder why no one respects Democrats except other Democrats?

Menstrual Activism

Jeff1138 Wrote: Jul 28, 2014 8:12 PM
I'm thinking a few hundred dollars could easily be saved in your college's budget by cutting her classes from the curriculum. And probably several thousand for her "salary." Maybe then, you can get back to actually teaching something relevant and important, like science, math, engineering, foreign languages, the Scientific Method, history, literature and so on.

Great Moments in Government

Jeff1138 Wrote: Jul 28, 2014 2:24 AM
"Government" didn't win anything. Brave men and women utilizing the tools produced by our superb private industrial sector won World War II. Name one government bureaucrat, congressperson, or sitting secretary that stormed the beaches at Normandy or Iwo Jima.

Great Moments in Government

Jeff1138 Wrote: Jul 28, 2014 2:21 AM
As a general rule, I despise anyone from the IRS. I can't imagine being willing to take a job with an organization that the RICO statutes could have been written to describe.
What does anyone really expect from the most incompetent President since Buchanan (1856-60)? In fact, this President may even be MORE incompetent than Buchanan was.

Yellen: Where No Man Has Gone Before

Jeff1138 Wrote: Jul 26, 2014 7:13 PM
Speaking purely anecdotally, I can tell you that I'm paying over $200 more a month for food, that gas prices in my area haven't increased by any measly 60%, but have, in fact, doubled, and that electricity has gone up at least 20$ a month since just this time last year. Unfortunately, my last pay raise was in 2012, and my hours just got cut. The bottom line is this -- I'm not sure I can survive two more years of the kind of economic "leadership" Obama and his administration are providing. Please, someone in power in Congress -- make the punishment we the people are suffering stop. We don't deserve it, I promise you.