This is not about the American Dream or a Horatio Alger story. (Does anybody remember him?) Nor is it mythmaking. It's made of sterner stuff than that....
I've yet to see the movie and hope to soon. It is time however, for Lincoln and the Civil War to be brought out into the open. Not from the common story of a war to end Slavery, but from a point of view of all the facts. Tariffs, the concept that our Union of Sovereign States was no longer to exist, the abuse of Constitutional separation of Powers and all the hairy ugliness that caused over 600,000 American casualties. "Are we better off today because of Abraham Lincoln?" is a question that must be brought to the public with all the facts. History is written by those who win the war, was never a truer dictum than with this war
Every schoolchild with enough smarts and curiosity to get beyond the latest video game of "Call of Duty" ought to go see "Lincoln," the movie, and check out the references and his own attention span. It requires patience, but it shows through dramatic action how a self-taught rustic from the deep backwoods had the emotional and intellectual discipline to overcome poverty and grow up to be a president to rank among the greatest.
- International community concerned America violating international law by striking Syria? Noah Rothman 23 mins ago
- Jihadi social media: Khorasan Group leader Muhsin al-Fadhli killed in U.S. airstrikes in Syria Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- NYT: On second thought, Bush did pull together a coalition on Iraq Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- U.S. had Assad’s cooperation during strikes on targets in Syria Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Open thread: War president to address nation after targeting ISIS, Khorasan in Syria Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Yemen’s capital under near total control of Shiite rebels following bloody offensive Noah Rothman 3 hours ago