This is not about the American Dream or a Horatio Alger story. (Does anybody remember him?) Nor is it mythmaking. It's made of sterner stuff than that....
I've yet to see the movie and hope to soon. It is time however, for Lincoln and the Civil War to be brought out into the open. Not from the common story of a war to end Slavery, but from a point of view of all the facts. Tariffs, the concept that our Union of Sovereign States was no longer to exist, the abuse of Constitutional separation of Powers and all the hairy ugliness that caused over 600,000 American casualties. "Are we better off today because of Abraham Lincoln?" is a question that must be brought to the public with all the facts. History is written by those who win the war, was never a truer dictum than with this war
Every schoolchild with enough smarts and curiosity to get beyond the latest video game of "Call of Duty" ought to go see "Lincoln," the movie, and check out the references and his own attention span. It requires patience, but it shows through dramatic action how a self-taught rustic from the deep backwoods had the emotional and intellectual discipline to overcome poverty and grow up to be a president to rank among the greatest.
- Video: How to get kicked out of a Clay Aiken fundraiser Jazz Shaw 52 minutes ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 13 hours ago
- U.S. to announce ground troops to Poland, says… Polish defense minister Mary Katharine Ham 14 hours ago
- Rand Paul to Harry Reid: Simmer down with the “domestic terrorist” rhetoric about Bundy’s supporters Allahpundit 15 hours ago
- Snowden: I asked Putin that softball question on surveillance to start a public debate in Russia Allahpundit 16 hours ago
- The Obama admin is delaying the Keystone XL review process through the election. Yes, again. Erika Johnsen 17 hours ago