This is not about the American Dream or a Horatio Alger story. (Does anybody remember him?) Nor is it mythmaking. It's made of sterner stuff than that....
I've yet to see the movie and hope to soon. It is time however, for Lincoln and the Civil War to be brought out into the open. Not from the common story of a war to end Slavery, but from a point of view of all the facts. Tariffs, the concept that our Union of Sovereign States was no longer to exist, the abuse of Constitutional separation of Powers and all the hairy ugliness that caused over 600,000 American casualties. "Are we better off today because of Abraham Lincoln?" is a question that must be brought to the public with all the facts. History is written by those who win the war, was never a truer dictum than with this war
Every schoolchild with enough smarts and curiosity to get beyond the latest video game of "Call of Duty" ought to go see "Lincoln," the movie, and check out the references and his own attention span. It requires patience, but it shows through dramatic action how a self-taught rustic from the deep backwoods had the emotional and intellectual discipline to overcome poverty and grow up to be a president to rank among the greatest.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Breaking: Pentagon reports first airstrikes in Syria Update: Coalition Arab countries added Mary Katharine Ham 2 hours ago
- Issa: Americans deserve to hear from Lerner under oath, not in the press Mary Katharine Ham 2 hours ago
- Poll: Plurality now think businesses that provide wedding services should be required to serve gay weddings too Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Poet: I would have died for my aborted daughter’s right to choose, just like she died for mine Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- Resurrected monster General Motors is still killing people Noah Rothman 4 hours ago