This is not about the American Dream or a Horatio Alger story. (Does anybody remember him?) Nor is it mythmaking. It's made of sterner stuff than that....
I've yet to see the movie and hope to soon. It is time however, for Lincoln and the Civil War to be brought out into the open. Not from the common story of a war to end Slavery, but from a point of view of all the facts. Tariffs, the concept that our Union of Sovereign States was no longer to exist, the abuse of Constitutional separation of Powers and all the hairy ugliness that caused over 600,000 American casualties. "Are we better off today because of Abraham Lincoln?" is a question that must be brought to the public with all the facts. History is written by those who win the war, was never a truer dictum than with this war
Every schoolchild with enough smarts and curiosity to get beyond the latest video game of "Call of Duty" ought to go see "Lincoln," the movie, and check out the references and his own attention span. It requires patience, but it shows through dramatic action how a self-taught rustic from the deep backwoods had the emotional and intellectual discipline to overcome poverty and grow up to be a president to rank among the greatest.
- Video: Feds bust prep-school drug ring Ed Morrissey 10 minutes ago
- Has al-Qaeda taken over a secret US base in Libya? Ed Morrissey 50 minutes ago
- NYT poll shows Pryor up 10 in Arkansas Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Lavrov: Russia will respond in Ukraine if interests “attacked” … like we did in 2008 Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- WaPo columnist: Home ownership is a lousy investment Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 12 hours ago