"In 1960, two-thirds (68%) of all twenty-somethings were married. In 2008, just 26% were." "To get a sense of how different attitudes were in the 1960s, perhaps this will do it. (M)arried women were asked, ‘In your opinion, do you think it is all right for a woman to have sexual relations before marriage...
The civil institution of marriage, however, is certainly a man-made creation. The relevant laws are different from state to state as well as from country to country. In fact, the civil institution of marriage has changed dramatically over the centuries, even if God hasn't. It is absolutely essential to recognize that the current political debate about marriage is not about the theological or religious significance of "GOD'S idea" of marriage, but is specifically about the merely human civil institution of marriage, or no constructive conversation will be possible.
It's no secret that marriage has been in decline in America, but most people don't realize how quickly it has been crumbling. The numbers are staggering and the sea change in attitude that has gone along with them would shock previous generations of Americans.
- World Jewish Congress president asks, “Who will stand up for the Christians?” Ed Morrissey 30 mins ago
- Police sources to NYT: Witnesses, forensics prove Wilson sustained an injury during his confrontation with Michael Brown Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- White House knew ISIS planned to kill James Foley Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Report: Qatar scuttled Gaza cease-fire for not having seat at Cairo table Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- White House now leaning on Eric Holder to play the role of racial healer? Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- WaPo: Was Foley’s killer a former Gitmo detainee? Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago