Didn't force everyone to take it and it wasn't a tax.
Right after the election, it was all peaches and cream and conciliatory common-ground language when President Obama met with congressional leaders to discuss the fiscal cliff. Of course, the president campaigned on tax hikes for the rich, by which he meant raising top income-tax rates and extending the Bush tax cuts for incomes below $200,000. And the president’s first meeting post-election was with his union and liberal-interest-group supporters, all of whom want to raise the top rates and then some. But instead, the newly reelected president spoke about “new ideas,” as long as they provided a balance of spending cuts and...
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- Video: Shep vs. Earnest Mary Katharine Ham 6 hours ago
- In New York City, a safety regulation makes the streets less safe Mary Katharine Ham 7 hours ago
- Federal investigators find no connection between Christie and Bridgegate Ed Morrissey 7 hours ago
- Boehner: You know what would help our economy? Immigration reform Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- White House: It’s not combat, but US troops will return fire if they’re shot at… Noah Rothman 9 hours ago