Didn't force everyone to take it and it wasn't a tax.
Right after the election, it was all peaches and cream and conciliatory common-ground language when President Obama met with congressional leaders to discuss the fiscal cliff. Of course, the president campaigned on tax hikes for the rich, by which he meant raising top income-tax rates and extending the Bush tax cuts for incomes below $200,000. And the president’s first meeting post-election was with his union and liberal-interest-group supporters, all of whom want to raise the top rates and then some. But instead, the newly reelected president spoke about “new ideas,” as long as they provided a balance of spending cuts and...
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- Video: Happy (The Remy Tax Day Edition) Mary Katharine Ham 6 hours ago
- Should Mike Anderson III go free? Mary Katharine Ham 7 hours ago
- Krauthammer: Can we all remember that we have added $7 trillion to the debt in 5 years, please? Erika Johnsen 8 hours ago
- State legislators: Hey, you know what we really need right now? More federal land! Erika Johnsen 9 hours ago
- CBO: ObamaCare premiums and healthcare spending will rise by less than expected, because… Erika Johnsen 9 hours ago