Vienna was home to 23 synagogues prior to World War II, only one of which outlasted the Nazis --the Stadttempel, which was constructed in 1825 and 1826 and which survived Kristallnacht in November, 1938. This beautiful house of worship was saved because the emperor had ordered that it be built behind facades and as part of an organic structure which included apartment buildings and which shielded passers-by on the street from the view of a non-Catholic house of worship. The terrorists of Kristallnacht could not torch the temple without burning down the homes of gentiles and without endangering one of...
I just finished reading the book after listening to Hugh's interesting interview with Daniel Silva. I thoroughly enjoyed the book. It is all that Hugh promises and more. I learned from the interview that Silva weaves historical truths into his plot. It is a fascinating look at the Vatican, art and archeology, as well as the intrigue surrounding Israel. I highly recommend it.
- How many times does Josh Earnest have to say ‘strategy’ before you forget yesterday? Noah Rothman 50 mins ago
- ISIS has shocked America back to its senses Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Surprise coming in MA gubernatorial race? Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- America has no strategy, but ISIS does: Biological terrorism Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- More non-existent voter fraud tuns up in Virginia Jazz Shaw 3 hours ago
- AFP Defending the Dream Summit: Day 1 Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago