Vienna was home to 23 synagogues prior to World War II, only one of which outlasted the Nazis --the Stadttempel, which was constructed in 1825 and 1826 and which survived Kristallnacht in November, 1938. This beautiful house of worship was saved because the emperor had ordered that it be built behind facades and as part of an organic structure which included apartment buildings and which shielded passers-by on the street from the view of a non-Catholic house of worship. The terrorists of Kristallnacht could not torch the temple without burning down the homes of gentiles and without endangering one of...
I just finished reading the book after listening to Hugh's interesting interview with Daniel Silva. I thoroughly enjoyed the book. It is all that Hugh promises and more. I learned from the interview that Silva weaves historical truths into his plot. It is a fascinating look at the Vatican, art and archeology, as well as the intrigue surrounding Israel. I highly recommend it.
- Poll: 63% oppose Obama’s executive order on amnesty Allahpundit 40 mins ago
- Ukraine ends offensive operations against rebels, digs in to repel Russian invasion Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Great news: Homeland Security can’t find 6,000 foreign nationals in US Ed Morrissey 2 hour ago
- Did US kill Al-Shabaab leader responsible for Kenya mall massacre? Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- CDC Director: Ebola in Africa now an ‘epidemic,’ ‘completely out of control’ Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- Video: UK takes steps to keep British jihadists from returning Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago