The Republican opposition to policy from it's own think tanks is surprising. Romneycare and hence Obamacare was born at the Heritage Foundation and hailed as "patient centered health reform" when Mitt Romney signed the bill into law. Filibustering the DREAM Act which was sponsored by Senator Orrin Hatch not less. This really cost Republicans the Latino Vote. No Abortion, not even to save the Mother's life, Rape, Nor Incest. Lost the under 30 vote there. Defense of Marriage Act, lost the GLBT vote. I'll quote David Brooks here "I sometimes wonder if the Republican Party has become the receding roar of white America as it pines for a way of life that will never return.” Change Policy or become irrelevant.
Congatulations, Mr. President. You fought this election out on your principles and your ground -- the politics of identity, whether ethnic, class or partisan -- and prevailed. Early in the night. There was no contested cliffhanger. There was no extended legal struggle a la Bush v. Gore in 2000, the presidential election that threatened never to end. There are no demands that the Electoral College be abandoned in favor of some French-style popular vote. And no hard feelings. At least no more than the usual cavils. Call it a happy ending. Four More Years! Though they may be only four more...
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- John Roberts doesn’t believe either Scalia or Ginsburg could be confirmed today Jazz Shaw 6 hours ago
- Publisher rips New York Times for snubbing David Limbaugh’s book Noah Rothman 7 hours ago
- How to lose a war before it begins Noah Rothman 9 hours ago
- Putin: I could have troops in Kiev… Warsaw and Bucharest Jazz Shaw 10 hours ago
- NFL Week 3 open thread Ed Morrissey 12 hours ago