The Republican opposition to policy from it's own think tanks is surprising. Romneycare and hence Obamacare was born at the Heritage Foundation and hailed as "patient centered health reform" when Mitt Romney signed the bill into law. Filibustering the DREAM Act which was sponsored by Senator Orrin Hatch not less. This really cost Republicans the Latino Vote. No Abortion, not even to save the Mother's life, Rape, Nor Incest. Lost the under 30 vote there. Defense of Marriage Act, lost the GLBT vote. I'll quote David Brooks here "I sometimes wonder if the Republican Party has become the receding roar of white America as it pines for a way of life that will never return.” Change Policy or become irrelevant.
Congatulations, Mr. President. You fought this election out on your principles and your ground -- the politics of identity, whether ethnic, class or partisan -- and prevailed. Early in the night. There was no contested cliffhanger. There was no extended legal struggle a la Bush v. Gore in 2000, the presidential election that threatened never to end. There are no demands that the Electoral College be abandoned in favor of some French-style popular vote. And no hard feelings. At least no more than the usual cavils. Call it a happy ending. Four More Years! Though they may be only four more...
- New York’s new gun laws returning unexpected results Jazz Shaw 37 mins ago
- WaPo: Say, this President doesn’t seem terribly competent at foreign policy, huh? Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- On the dismissal of the Chris McDaniel challenge in Mississippi Jazz Shaw 3 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 15 hours ago
- Obama: The world’s always been messy, but now social media is amplifying it Mary Katharine Ham 16 hours ago
- Video: Hot Air exclusive interview with Gov. Rick Perry Ed Morrissey 16 hours ago