Yes, somewhere among the faux presidential scandals of the past, there are real scandals like Teapot Dome and Watergate. Or, in more recent years, L'Affaire Lewinsky. But for the most part, accusing a presidential candidate of something he never did has become just an empty ritual for the quadrennial...
The difference between the "smears" against the President and Mr. Romney is that Obama is clearly hiding something and Mr. Romney is not. Mr. Obama could diffuse a lot of the rumors if he were forthcoming about his college records, his Selective Service registration, his odd social Security number and a birth certificate that looks like Dan Rather produced it. Maybe Obama was actually born in this country, but there is something he doesn't want the world to see. The eligibility issue will soon become moot, anyway. We owe it to ourselves however, to develop a better process for vetting Presidential candidates. Many of the illegal immigrants have more convincing phony paper trails than the President's.
Not a presidential election goes by without producing another prize specimen for my extensive collection of Famous Smears I Have Known, and this year's campaign is no different. It's a red-white-and-blue, dadgum all-American tradition, telling whoppers about the opposition. It goes back at least to 1800 and the Adams-Jefferson match.
- New solution to border crisis: Send U.S. officials to Honduras to give kids refugee status? Allahpundit Jul 24, 2014
- Boehner accuses White House of sabotaging Veterans Affairs bill Noah Rothman Jul 24, 2014
- NFL suspends Ray Rice for two games in domestic-assault case Ed Morrissey Jul 24, 2014
- Great news from Hillary: The Russian reset worked Allahpundit Jul 24, 2014
- Thursday TEMS: Duane Patterson, Daniel Garza, Mike McFadden Ed Morrissey Jul 24, 2014
- FEC Chairman sounds alarm to Hot Air: There’s a ‘move afoot to constrict press freedoms’ Noah Rothman Jul 24, 2014