The measure, unless blocked by a judge, will take effect in six months. The health board vote was the only regulatory approval needed to become binding in the city, but the American soft-drink industry has strongly opposed...
In response to:
The left wants to make us all smaller: smaller cars, smaller houses (apartments preferably), smaller drinks, smaller portions, and smaller citizens. They think small. Real Americans think BIG. The heart of the left is also dictatorial. They crave power so they can rule over us and get rid of things they think are disgusting - like fat people. It's none of their business telling us what we can put in our stomachs or put in our homes (like toilets larger than 1.5 gallons or incandescent bulbs). This is why government-run healthcare is such an affront to our liberty. Once they pool all of us into their insurance risk group, they will have the power to tell us what to do to stay healthy, which could include anything.
The New York City Board of Health today approved Mayor Michael Bloomberg's proposal to ban sugary drinks that come in sizes larger than 16 oz on a unanimous 9-0 vote. This was mildly surprising considering the national controversy that broke out in the wake of Bloomberg's initial plan, but the New York City bureaucrats have never been receptive to public outcry.
- New solution to border crisis: Send U.S. officials to Honduras to give kids refugee status? Allahpundit Jul 24, 2014
- Boehner accuses White House of sabotaging Veterans Affairs bill Noah Rothman Jul 24, 2014
- NFL suspends Ray Rice for two games in domestic-assault case Ed Morrissey Jul 24, 2014
- Great news from Hillary: The Russian reset worked Allahpundit Jul 24, 2014
- Thursday TEMS: Duane Patterson, Daniel Garza, Mike McFadden Ed Morrissey Jul 24, 2014
- FEC Chairman sounds alarm to Hot Air: There’s a ‘move afoot to constrict press freedoms’ Noah Rothman Jul 24, 2014