The measure, unless blocked by a judge, will take effect in six months. The health board vote was the only regulatory approval needed to become binding in the city, but the American soft-drink industry has strongly opposed...
In response to:
The left wants to make us all smaller: smaller cars, smaller houses (apartments preferably), smaller drinks, smaller portions, and smaller citizens. They think small. Real Americans think BIG. The heart of the left is also dictatorial. They crave power so they can rule over us and get rid of things they think are disgusting - like fat people. It's none of their business telling us what we can put in our stomachs or put in our homes (like toilets larger than 1.5 gallons or incandescent bulbs). This is why government-run healthcare is such an affront to our liberty. Once they pool all of us into their insurance risk group, they will have the power to tell us what to do to stay healthy, which could include anything.
The New York City Board of Health today approved Mayor Michael Bloomberg's proposal to ban sugary drinks that come in sizes larger than 16 oz on a unanimous 9-0 vote. This was mildly surprising considering the national controversy that broke out in the wake of Bloomberg's initial plan, but the New York City bureaucrats have never been receptive to public outcry.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- Last straw: ObamaCare now ruining baseball Mary Katharine Ham 5 hours ago
- US reconfirms policy of not paying ransoms to terrorists for abducted Americans Ed Morrissey 5 hours ago
- Jake Tapper: Getting a conviction against Darren Wilson could be an ‘uphill battle’ Noah Rothman 6 hours ago
- NYT poll: 65% of whites, 80% of blacks say police shouldn’t have military-style weapons Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- In effort to shield Obama from criticism on ISIS, White House makes everything worse Noah Rothman 7 hours ago