The sequester "cuts" would have been obligated in a CR anyway. A shutdown was not necessary to achieve that outcome. To see the consequences-albeit short term-visit the polls re GOP brand and Virginia gubernatorial election. The "cuts" are actually reductions in the scheduled increases built into the baseline budget, but at least they are an initial effort at hard cost containment. More to the point the political consequences of the shutdown remain to be seen, but they obviously aren't positive: by making the politically impossible repeal of the ACA the prime focus the GOP actually helped their political adversaries by diminishing the issue of the deficit as debate point.
- Study: Non-citizens are voting in federal elections — and probably tipped at least one Senate race to Democrats Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- HHS official to Congress: I’m totally in charge, but that doesn’t mean I can prioritize Ebola prep over puppet shows Mary Katharine Ham 2 hours ago
- All in: Democrats plan full-court press to defeat Walker Guy Benson 2 hours ago
- Oh, by the way: North Korea now knows how to build small nuclear warheads for delivery via ICBM Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Video: The ultimate Debbie Wasserman Schultz clip Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- DHS auditor: It’s not your imagination, we aren’t prepared for a pandemic Noah Rothman 4 hours ago