Its quite true that the default term is inaccurate. But the consequences of breeching the debt ceiling would be dramatically bad from any reasonable stand point. The administration/ media use of the default term is designed to eliminate any mention of "debt" in the analysis-a word which tends to alter the value equation in the voter's minds eye. But the "what's so bad about that" observation is a foolish question in practical terms. Start with the obvious: assuming an across the board cut every military function would be immediately subject to a 20% reduction,ditto every social security check, etc. It would immediately produce a recessionary impetus. Guess who would be blamed for these results? Never take an economic hostage you are afraid to shoot.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- Lundergan Grimes: Iron Dome is great for keeping Hamas from tunneling into Israel Mary Katharine Ham 9 hours ago
- Organizing for Action asks WaPo to recognize its work, with hilarious results Mary Katharine Ham 10 hours ago
- S.E. Cupp: It’s a myth that conservatism is hostile to atheism Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- Chuck Todd: Democrats and Republicans should be embarrassed by this impeachment nonsense Guy Benson 11 hours ago
- GAO investigation: Why, yes, the Healthcare.gov disaster was the result of terrible government management Allahpundit 12 hours ago