Its quite true that the default term is inaccurate. But the consequences of breeching the debt ceiling would be dramatically bad from any reasonable stand point. The administration/ media use of the default term is designed to eliminate any mention of "debt" in the analysis-a word which tends to alter the value equation in the voter's minds eye. But the "what's so bad about that" observation is a foolish question in practical terms. Start with the obvious: assuming an across the board cut every military function would be immediately subject to a 20% reduction,ditto every social security check, etc. It would immediately produce a recessionary impetus. Guess who would be blamed for these results? Never take an economic hostage you are afraid to shoot.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- GAO to audit Oregon’s failed ObamaCare exchange site Mary Katharine Ham 4 hours ago
- Video: Chris Matthews attempts a do-over during his live show Mary Katharine Ham 5 hours ago
- FL-13 special election: Jolly wins! Erika Johnsen 6 hours ago
- Finally: “Frozen,” the honest trailer Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- Union leaders: Man, this Keystone XL decision just “reeks of politics” Erika Johnsen 7 hours ago