End Torture, Shut Down the CIA

InsightingTruth Wrote: Jul 29, 2014 9:51 AM
It is incumbent upon righteous men to bring criminals to justice whenever possible. The good guys do not administer justice on a whim. To do so changes the complexion of the act from just, to unjust. Torture, whether euphemized and acronymed as EIT, or not, violates the Natural Rights of a human being. It is against our law. It is antipodal to the ideals upon which our nation is founded. If these facts are insufficient for you, no rational discussion will suffice to dissuade you from your anti-American rhetoric. Necessity and revenge are long standing excuses for tyranny and abuse. It is not surprising, given man's history that U.S. citizens too can be so frighten by pipsqueak-bogymen terrorists that they rush headlong into the abyss of lawlessness.

End Torture, Shut Down the CIA

InsightingTruth Wrote: Jul 29, 2014 9:44 AM
The foundation of our country is not the strength of our military, or the size of our economy. Both of those things grow from the strength of our convictions. Our convictions result from one fundamental conceit: humans are born with rights. When America's government abandons that principle and sponsors torture, that government is un-American. As Americans, in fulfillment of the true American spirit it is our duty to alter or abolish that government. We cannot defeat barbarians by adopting barbarism as official policy. On the battlefield the righteous are not obligated to give quarter to the enemy. We can annihilate their armies, and the people and economies that support those armies. But, when we capture an individual combatant, the individual becomes subject to our legal jurisdiction, and we are obligated to extend to that individual the protection of our law. To do otherwise is to sacrifice our principles. The price is simply too high.

End Torture, Shut Down the CIA

InsightingTruth Wrote: Jul 29, 2014 9:32 AM
Spying on Americans, and torturing prisoners is never right, no matter whose administration is sanctioning it. Spying on Americans violates U.S. law. Those who engage in unlawful activity should be prosecuted. Obama and any and all of his minions involved should be prosecuted for their crimes. Bush too, is not immune from prosecution just because he no longer holds office. The same goes for his corrupt stooges as well. Torture is morally wrong. It is un-American at the very least, and inhumane by any standard. No American should be willing to let the government torture anyone in their name.
There is a reason Libertarians spend more time criticizing Republicans than Democrats. Many L's labor under the persistent illusion that R's are more logical than D's, and are therefor more open to rational persuasion. Most L's consider D's as bereft of intellectual curiosity.

Policing America

InsightingTruth Wrote: Jul 23, 2014 12:11 PM
freedomist: Your observation is accurate. This truth was first expressed to me by a friend in the early 1970s. After reflecting on his statement, I saw the reality of it, and however true it was then, it is even more true now.

Policing America

InsightingTruth Wrote: Jul 23, 2014 12:01 PM
...of course, "peach" was supposed to be peace... Bad fingers! Bad! Punishment has been meted out.

Policing America

InsightingTruth Wrote: Jul 23, 2014 11:41 AM
Mike: I am pleased to hear that you support the rule of law. I have not read every post on this thread, but none of the couple dozen I did read suggested that "all" the police are guilty of overt abuse. My contact with the police has been very limited. Primarily because I do not behave in a way that should draw their attention. But, even my limited experience has exposed a latent ugliness in the police that we should all be wary of. Good people want to regard the police as peach officers, not as regulation enforcers. The traditional role of the peach officer is one of respect and appreciation. The role of regulation enforcer is one of disdain and loathing. How are citizens to tell the difference between the good cops and the bad cops when they all wear the same uniforms, and participate in the same unlawful and oppressive acts of force?

Policing America

InsightingTruth Wrote: Jul 23, 2014 11:11 AM
Mike: I base my view on a larger sampling than anecdotes and personal experience. I stand by my statement that the old West you describe existed in very limited forms. By and large it is the creation of novelists and Hollywood.

Policing America

InsightingTruth Wrote: Jul 23, 2014 11:01 AM
Mike: I am a freedom loving American, and a steadfast believer in the rule of law. You appear to place your faith in the rule of force. Not all which is legal is lawful. You would be wise to learn the difference.

Policing America

InsightingTruth Wrote: Jul 23, 2014 10:56 AM
Mike: You've been reading too many dime novels. The old West you describe never existed.

Policing America

InsightingTruth Wrote: Jul 23, 2014 10:23 AM
The police carry guns so I don't have to. Their guns do not give them authority over me. I am equally comfortable if my neighbor caries a gun so I don't have to, but he too has no authority over me.