There is a reason Libertarians spend more time criticizing Republicans than Democrats. Many L's labor under the persistent illusion that R's are more logical than D's, and are therefor more open to rational persuasion. Most L's consider D's as bereft of intellectual curiosity.

Policing America

InsightingTruth Wrote: Jul 23, 2014 12:11 PM
freedomist: Your observation is accurate. This truth was first expressed to me by a friend in the early 1970s. After reflecting on his statement, I saw the reality of it, and however true it was then, it is even more true now.

Policing America

InsightingTruth Wrote: Jul 23, 2014 12:01 PM
...of course, "peach" was supposed to be peace... Bad fingers! Bad! Punishment has been meted out.

Policing America

InsightingTruth Wrote: Jul 23, 2014 11:41 AM
Mike: I am pleased to hear that you support the rule of law. I have not read every post on this thread, but none of the couple dozen I did read suggested that "all" the police are guilty of overt abuse. My contact with the police has been very limited. Primarily because I do not behave in a way that should draw their attention. But, even my limited experience has exposed a latent ugliness in the police that we should all be wary of. Good people want to regard the police as peach officers, not as regulation enforcers. The traditional role of the peach officer is one of respect and appreciation. The role of regulation enforcer is one of disdain and loathing. How are citizens to tell the difference between the good cops and the bad cops when they all wear the same uniforms, and participate in the same unlawful and oppressive acts of force?

Policing America

InsightingTruth Wrote: Jul 23, 2014 11:11 AM
Mike: I base my view on a larger sampling than anecdotes and personal experience. I stand by my statement that the old West you describe existed in very limited forms. By and large it is the creation of novelists and Hollywood.

Policing America

InsightingTruth Wrote: Jul 23, 2014 11:01 AM
Mike: I am a freedom loving American, and a steadfast believer in the rule of law. You appear to place your faith in the rule of force. Not all which is legal is lawful. You would be wise to learn the difference.

Policing America

InsightingTruth Wrote: Jul 23, 2014 10:56 AM
Mike: You've been reading too many dime novels. The old West you describe never existed.

Policing America

InsightingTruth Wrote: Jul 23, 2014 10:23 AM
The police carry guns so I don't have to. Their guns do not give them authority over me. I am equally comfortable if my neighbor caries a gun so I don't have to, but he too has no authority over me.

Policing America

InsightingTruth Wrote: Jul 23, 2014 10:21 AM
It is not the police versus the bad guys. It is the police and all honest, decent, peaceful citizens against the bad guys.

Policing America

InsightingTruth Wrote: Jul 23, 2014 10:18 AM
First the police must be reeducated. They are a civilian constabulary, not an enforcement arm of a standing army.