Policing a Riot

InsightingTruth Wrote: Aug 20, 2014 1:38 PM
It is a daunting task that Stossel takes upon himself when he tries to get people to think. It is a thankless task, and we are all indebted to Stossel for his efforts.

Policing a Riot

InsightingTruth Wrote: Aug 20, 2014 1:21 PM
There are always choices.

Policing a Riot

InsightingTruth Wrote: Aug 20, 2014 1:09 PM
Wayne: Neither of your statements ring true. Libertarians are insufficiently numerous to elect anyone. I have personally know hundreds of Libertarians. In my experience there is a smaller number of drug use enthusiasts in their ranks than in the general public. It is a common mistake among conservatives to equate enthusiasm for decriminalization of drug possession laws with advocacy of drug use. The two things are not necessarily linked.

Policing a Riot

InsightingTruth Wrote: Aug 20, 2014 12:47 PM
Grant75 says, "We humans get pretty ridicules at times, don’t we?" Excellent self-analysis, judging from the statement you made preceding the quote above.

Policing a Riot

InsightingTruth Wrote: Aug 20, 2014 12:37 PM
In our society the role of the police is "civil" authority. They are not military. They should not be armed like the military. They should not be trained as the military is trained. They should not think of themselves as having enemies. If there is no difference between our expectations of police and soldiers, why do we need both?

Policing a Riot

InsightingTruth Wrote: Aug 20, 2014 11:56 AM
Throwing...obfuscate.

Policing a Riot

InsightingTruth Wrote: Aug 20, 2014 11:54 AM
I am happy to see that you are a proud authoritarian; all the best despots are! Protests do not by definition impose on other peoples rights. Throghing that bit of nonsense into the argument is just an attempt to obfuscate

Policing a Riot

InsightingTruth Wrote: Aug 20, 2014 11:14 AM
My dear authoritarian Capitalist: One cannot be required to seek permission to exercise a right. A privilege may be requested, a right is inherently owned. Don't be so quick to exchange your rights for the privilege of begging a whimsical bureaucrat for permission live your life.

Policing a Riot

InsightingTruth Wrote: Aug 20, 2014 10:53 AM
If I wanted to turn neighborhoods into dangerous enclaves of desperation and depravity: I would use zoning to limit living and business options. I would use building codes to substantially increase the cost of housing. I would use business licensing to decrease productive opportunities. I would create a welfare system to discourage independence and ensnare the residents in perpetual poverty. I would retrain the police, change their role from one of peacekeeper (an elevating and respected role) to regulation enforcer (a universally demeaning and despised role). I would encourage the civilian police to think of themselves as something other than civilian to create a separation between themselves and the people they serve. I would foster an “us versus them” attitude in the men and women who make up the rank and file of the police force. I would use the discord that would naturally follow all of the above, as an excuse to frighten both the individual policemen and the public. I would use that fear to get all the people I've frightened to clamor for more of all of the above, in the cynical knowledge that all the problems will be exacerbated. I would insidiously use each of the steps above to incrementally build resentment, animosity and distrust between all parties. Of course, this is what I would do, because I am inherently evil and socially deranged. I am certain the good people we elect to office would never do any of these things.
I should have added "and/or bureaucrats" after "politicians".