Let us begin with the word "spend." Is the government "spending" money on people whenever it does not tax them as much as it can? Such convoluted reasoning would never pass muster if the mainstream media were not...
Barack Obama, like most Democrats, does not care whether his words describe reality. He is interested in whether they gain him more power, whether true or not, whether accurate or not. Objectively, that is morally disgusting. But some people find it acceptable. In fact, the majority of Americans seem to find that acceptable, as they keep electing Democrats to high office despite repeated demonstrations that their words mean only that they think we want to hear those words. So, I'm not sure what Dr. Sowell's point is. OF COURSE the Democrats are lying. They're Democrats. But how is that different from yesterday, or tomorrow? If you find their lying pleasant, you'll vote for them. Right?
Anyone who wants to study the tricks of propaganda rhetoric has a rich source of examples in the statements of President Barack Obama. On Monday, July 9th, for example, he said that Republicans "believe that prosperity comes from the top down, so that if we spend trillions more on tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans, that that will somehow unleash jobs and economic growth."
- ISIL is busy building a capital in Syria while Obama dithers Gabriel Malor 48 mins ago
- Alison Lundergan Grimes channels Patches O’Houlihan on campaign trail Matt Vespa 1 hour ago
- Hillary: After weeks of criticism, I have decided I do have an opinion on Ferguson Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- DNC spokesman: We condemn Rand Paul’s “blame America” worldview Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Open thread: Semi-retired president to address something he saw on the news today about Ukraine at 4 p.m. ET; Update: “Ongoing incursion”; Update: No strategy yet on ISIS Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- More Senate Democrats hit the panic button on immigration Gabriel Malor 4 hours ago